Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play Policy

:) Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I have been asked to produce an outdoor play policy for the Foundation Stage. I am a bit stuck for ideas what to include. Has any one written an outdoor play policy or knows where I can ideas from. Thanks

Hi

There are examples of policies on this forum - not sure if includes an outdoor policy. Look in members articles and then keep scrolling through (clicking next) until you find member donated policy examples. Sorry I can't create a link straight to them (don't have the ICT skills for that) :o

We are currently reviewing our policy (Learning through the Outdoors) and I have written procedures to go with this. We started by sharing/discussing a questionairre I devised (to elicit views and beliefs and form a shared ethos). We work with mixed age groups of children aged 2 - 5.

I will look for all of these on my computer at work and add them tomorrow.

In principle though it would I think reflect the principles of EY education and ensure that outdoor work was equally as important as indoors - Helen Bilton stresses that it is 1 half of the whole. She also stresses that it shouldn't be timetabled - children need to have as much opportunity to work outside as inside. As a general question - Would you need a separate policy if you have an early years policy anyway which would cover the importance of working inside and outside equally. Doesn't the need for a separate policy suggest it is seen as different to working indoors?? Just a thought.

Welcome to the forum, slpp. I am sure you will find something helpful if you follow leedwa's advice :D (I'm afraid we don't have an outdoor learning policy - yet...)

Thanks for the reply. That has given me more ideas. II would agree with you Catma but it is the head who is v. keen on having an outdoor policy. Have got H. Bilton's book and would agree with everything she says. :D This is a great forum site

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)