Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nativity Script Needed

Hi

I'm new to this and am so far loving it... lots of helpful ideas and it's really good to have somewhere to discuss issues to do with the FS, as at my school the early years (especially nursery) are rather overlooked.

Anyway, I haven't got a problem as such but am feeling rather uninspired about the prospect of putting on a performance of the nativity with my nursery class. Has anyone got a good script with nice songs and not too much 'acting' required or any ideas of how to make it simple but lovely?

Thanks

Kate

Hi Kitbush! Welcome, this is a great site I am sure you will love it.

I teach in a nursery in a school and sometimes feel we are overlooked or not seen really as all that important. (79 place nursery)

I have decided for my first time doing a xmas 'performace' kind of thing, to just do songs linked to different aspects of xmas time.

I am using the xmas songs book from'out of the ark music' as my basis. (Some lovely songs in there. )

We are going to learn the songs and base activities linked to them, then some of the children will wear hats we will make or hold things that we have made linked to the song or play percussion intruments to some of the songs. I have not gone for a full on nativity because I wouldn't to try a different approach and try and base activities/creative work around them.

Hope that makes sense. Sorry if it isn't any use.

Nina

I'm tempted by that idea, especially as so many of the children speak English as their second language, songs may be the safer option.

Yes, it's a great site - am already feeling so much better about what I do when I see other people are doing similar things and having similar problems!

Thanks !

Kate

Hi Kate

I'm using out of the ark material this year for reception class but could easily be adapted for nursery.

The songs are easy to learn and the narration can be done by an adult.

Would recommend 'Its a baby'

I'm also new to this site it has helped me sleep more soundly at night!

Tia

Do you peform to the public? If so if you use Out of the Ark songs etc do you have a license to do so? Just a thought as I have Its a baby from out of the Ark and it states that you should have one to perform.

Sue

Hi Kate -

Welcome in to the Forum and thanks for your first post! :D

We had a discussion way back in 2003 ( :o ) about this, which you can find here.

Mention was made of Out of the Ark as Tia refers to, and also Frantic Productions, which do a nursery nativity - their site can be found here.

Hope that helps, and welcome again! :)

We are doing a nursery rhyme nativity which is the traditional nativity play but all the songs have been written to the familiar tunes of nursery rhymes and the word are very simple. eg Mary mary mother of Jesus to the tune of Mary mary quite contrary and sing a song of shepherds to the tune of six a song of sixpence. We've written in enough parts for 72 reception children so they are all doing something. Along with the main Nativity parts we have tax dancers, star dancers, party dancers, narrators with very simple lines. Quite a lot of rehearsing neede but the children have picked up the songs and words very easily beacause the tunes are familiar and simple. Want to make this year really special as I have resigned and new job is not teaching!!

Just to go back to the performance license - you do need one for the Out of the Ark music - it's not expensive I think its £12.00 for non paying audience. there should be an application in the back of the out of the ark books

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)