Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

maintained nurseries staff appraisal

who appraises your support staff? you or FS leader? and who monitors quality of learning journeys etc. one of my 2 early years educators is not putting enough in hers e.g. only having one name-writing attempt in literacy since he began here in sept. i have given us all a sheet with minimum needed, which is one attempt at name, one piece of emergent writing and one letters and sounds post-it each half term.

so what is expected of you, and what does FS leader do? ours is key 1 and FS leader and just focusses on key 1

FS leader does support staff 'appraisals' but nothing as formal as teachers have.

Class teacher is responsible for learning journeys and FS leader monitors them termly for consistency across the year group. We also have minimum requirements, and these are looked at alongside teacher's half-termly 1:1's with FS lead when we look at progress in each class.

FS leader does support staff 'appraisals' but nothing as formal as teachers have.

Class teacher is responsible for learning journeys and FS leader monitors them termly for consistency across the year group. We also have minimum requirements, and these are looked at alongside teacher's half-termly 1:1's with FS lead when we look at progress in each class.

so what do you do if a staff member's are not up to scratch?

If support staff, initially class teacher works alongside, showing exactly what is expected, review after one week.

If something picked up by FS lead - she has informal word with staff member, review after one week.

If no improvement then FS lead works alongside to ensure understanding and keeps under review for a couple of weeks, then a formal discussion with a note-taker present if no improvement, after FS lead has discussion with the head.

If still no improvement - or not enough - then begin competency proceedings, again with the head involved.

At all stages the job description and contract of employment are base documents to refer to.

It's not fun, and it is very wearing, but so is working with someone who isn't up to scratch.

Edited by marywilliam

And indeed the management of staff and their CPD would also be the overall responsibility of the SLT of the school and how they are managing staff competency even in EYFS would be reflected in the L+M overarching school judgement as well as EYFS.

Cx

It varies in the schools I know - sometimes the DHT does all support staff performance management for example.

Who is their direct line manager?

CX

i suppose i am her line manager as the nursery teacher.

-

• 2 weeks later...