Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Level 2 responsibility

I have a level 2 who is a good worker at times but keeps saying she feels undervalued within the group. I give her positive feedback and try to help when she needs this.

What responsibility do other level 2 workers do???? She has said that she wont do a level 3 course because she has to get her GCSE in Maths and English to do the course?

Help please!!

Hi can they give examples of them feeling undervalued and why. I think in order to support them, you need to know this.

I have one member of staff unqualified but with oodles of experience and is very reflective of themselves and their working.

They are treated the same in terms of day to day roles, duties etc as we work on a rota basis.

Obviously some of the staff have more responsibility though depending on skill set.

As a close team of 10 working together we all support each other and have worked together for many years.

Are you also able to help in anyway with the mathematics and english qualifications.

Do let's us know how you get on with this.

I have rotas up for cleaning, nappy changing , outside area set up etc as I noticed that the level 2 did most of this type of thing.

We are only a team of four so its hard sometimes. She is keyworker to 6 children and does a reasonable job but is always asking if things are done right paperwork wise....she is good at setting up role play areas and comes up with good ideas but doesnt sometimes like it when her ideas arent implemented.

If you look at my other thread on writing names for 2,3,4 year olds you will see what I mean.

There is a local basic maths class and I have offered that she could have time out but she refuses to go as she says that she will fail.

Because she is a level 2 the training in my area is aimed at level3 or above (not that there is much training on offer). She has worked with me for 17 years and has had opps to do her level3 when u didnt need maths and english.

I dont know what other responsibility I can give her. Besides the level 2 which she completed this year thats the only major qualification she has. Oh first Aid trained. She wont go to any course on her own as she says she isnt confident.

Any ideas anyone.

We have had staff in the past that have not had the confidence to complete assessments on their own, take story time, concerts etc.

For us it was more about giving them lots of support and praise, because actually they were very good at them when they had a go.

It was more about their own self-esteem.

Could you or another staff member mentor them.

As for the role play area, if they like to do this and appear good at it could you not give them this to do.( make resources) or source enhancements.

We all thrive on praise so I think I might be going down this route.

We have had staff in the past that have not had the confidence to complete assessments on their own, take story time, concerts etc.

For us it was more about giving them lots of support and praise, because actually they were very good at them when they had a go.

It was more about their own self-esteem.

Could you or another staff member mentor them.

As for the role play area, if they like to do this and appear good at it could you not give them this to do.( make resources) or source enhancements.

We all thrive on praise so I think I might be going down this route.

I have done as you say give priase where its due....she does enjoy role play and does still need support with some of it. I am happy if she wants to take over control of the role play area..... but I think she sees herself as more than she is but doesnt have the qualification to go any further...its a shame really..

Think I will ask her to write down why she feels undervalued as you suggest....well we will see how its goes.....