Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

budget

we have been told that we can't order anything/go on any courses etc at school due to no money. until april. the reason given is that we have had to employ 2 new teachers due to rising numbers - reception has 37, year 1 33 and year 2 has 35. there have been 20+ children start since july. the head said we don't get the money for the new children who started after census day sept until april. but surely we'll get it in january? after that census? i am trying to get to the bottom of the problem as it is horrendous to think we will have to run a nursery with no paint/paper etc when it runs out. i can't understand it.

as far as I know this census day - October here - sets the budget for the financial year starting in April 15, hence the drive to get children in, rather than deferring entry.

Difficult to operate on no money - I'm sure you have had a drive to get parents to sign up for Pupil Premium and any other money pots available to nurseries.

Good luck

The adjustments to budgets does have a delay after census days. Also pp only goes as far as reception age children currently. The governors will have had to set the budget and often staffing takes up most of that. Presumably the stock for the school is managed by someone? When I had to manage stock very strictly because of budget issues I went into EVERY classroom cupboard and removed the mountains of hoarded stuff! Then I made sure everyone had enough but they had to look after it!!

I also used scrap stores, asked parents who worked in offices if they could provide scrap paper and explored all avenues.

Ultimately though the school will be in a worse position if it goes into a deficit budget.

Cx

• Like 1

as far as I know this census day - October here - sets the budget for the financial year starting in April 15, hence the drive to get children in, rather than deferring entry.

Difficult to operate on no money - I'm sure you have had a drive to get parents to sign up for Pupil Premium and any other money pots available to nurseries.

Good luck

i believe SLT have done all this.

The adjustments to budgets does have a delay after census days. Also pp only goes as far as reception age children currently. The governors will have had to set the budget and often staffing takes up most of that. Presumably the stock for the school is managed by someone? When I had to manage stock very strictly because of budget issues I went into EVERY classroom cupboard and removed the mountains of hoarded stuff! Then I made sure everyone had enough but they had to look after it!!

I also used scrap stores, asked parents who worked in offices if they could provide scrap paper and explored all avenues.

Ultimately though the school will be in a worse position if it goes into a deficit budget.

Cx

thanks for all the ideas. yes people hoard. i looked in a drawer in one class for staples - with permission! - and there were at least 40 glue sticks. and none in stock cupboard. so will suggest we do this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)