Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Stage Profile Linked To P Scales

hi,

my assessment co-ordinator would like to try and use P Scales and realte them to the Foundation Profile Data to show tracking of children from beginning of reception.

Is this possible, I understand the P Scales are on the QCA Website.

Can anyone advise?

hi,

my assessment co-ordinator would like to try and use P Scales and realte them to the Foundation Profile Data to show tracking of children from beginning of reception.

Is this possible, I understand the P Scales are on the QCA Website.

Can anyone advise?

42984[/snapback]

We tried this last year even though I said at the time P scales are not for Foundation Stage they are for children not working at Nc levels.

when we did the data analysis there was a definite mismatch and this year we are using the Foundation Profile scales to track chn from reception to YR 1.This means that fsp will continue to be used in Yr 1 if necessary .which is really what should be happening

Sometimes Non FS people are hard to convince unless you have data .

If you go on DFES standards site it states that P levels should not be used for Foundation Stage children. This has been backed by our early years advisor who says that under no circumstances should P levels be used prior to year one.

We are using profile scores only but can anyone help me on this next question. Throughout our school (Y1-6)a tracking system is used where children are given levels and target levels to reach by end of year. These target levels are used for performance management targets in relation to childrens progress. Obviously the reception teachers do not have these levels (thank goodness) but the head wants to base our performance management targets on something. Does anyone out there working in a school use profile scores in performance management targets? If you do can you give me some examples because I'm not sure how it can be done.

We just pick out a statement, such as "Uses phonic knowledge to write simple regular words and make phonetically plausible attempts at more complex words" and set percentage targets for that statement based on our knowledge of the children e.g. 90% of the class will be able to write simple regular words and 60% will be able to make phonetically plausible attempts at more complex words.

This year we are going to focus on an aspect of using and applying in maths.

HTH

We have a child who is moving towards a statement at our nursery. The SEN teacher who comes in to monitor his progress has given me some assessment sheets (from county) which work towards the stepping stones. They start at a very basic level (similar to the P scales) and cover PSED, CLL, MD and Physical Development. I use these alongside our own assessment and they are good to show progression towards the stepping stones. I am using them for three other children aswell to show to the ed psych when he comes to make his assessments.

I don't know if these are available elsewhere. I certainly haven't seen them before but it might be worth finding out.

Sue

Thanks everyone for your comments, I can go into school feeling confident that P Scales shouldn't be used as an alternative to profile scores. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for your comments, I can go into school feeling confident that P Scales shouldn't be used as an alternative to profile scores.  Thanks again!

43030[/snapback]

Hi,

Sue I would be interested to see the assessment sheets you have. Would it be possible to post them?

jo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)