Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing

I would like my year 1 chn to write a recipe and instructions for making a sandwich. Do you know where i could find any recipe cards for that . Also i really would like some info on how you tackle writing in year 1. I am finding it difficult with the less able chn.How much input do you give and do you correct them when they make a mistake.I would also be interested to see some lit and numeracy plans for year 1 as i feel our plans are too rigid. Sorry for all moaning but i am really not enjoying being in year 1 this year. Because i am Foundation stage trained i feel perhaps i am not challenging my more able group enough.

we are currently carrying out this in my class r - we have started this week with shared reading of a letter from Winnie the Pooj saying he is going to come and visit us next week and he might like to stay for lunch - could we make him some honey sandwiches!

Today the children wrote a shopping list for the ingredients and tools that we would need - my children selected words from a word bank using picture clues and initial sounds. Then we are going to order a set of instructions that i typed out of how to make them, HA children are filling in missing words emergently - then we will follow the instructions and make the sandwiches prior to the visit of a rather large Winnie the Pooh teddy! hope that this helps

Sara

i would be interested to know how others are approaching writing at this stage of the year in reception, sometimes i feel as if i am asking too much...

we are focussing on names, fine motor skills, prewriting skills, phonics knowledge, if we have a writing task, we start off with shared writing in groups or all together, and then children 'have a go' themselves - in some cases this is just a picture, with my more able children writing 1 or 2 sounds, we do a lot of talking about it as well at this stage, but i do try and encourage emergent writing

is this what others are doing

forgot to say, we also try and provide writing opportunites in the other areas of learning and in child initiated situations as well

look forward to finding out about others

cheers

i would be interested to know how others are approaching writing at this stage of the year in reception, sometimes i feel as if i am asking too much...

we are focussing on names, fine motor skills, prewriting skills, phonics knowledge, if we have a writing task, we start off with shared writing in groups or all together, and then children 'have a go' themselves - in some cases this is just a picture, with my more able children writing 1 or 2 sounds, we do a lot of talking about it as well at this stage, but i do try and encourage emergent writing

is this what others are doing

forgot to say, we also try and provide writing opportunites in the other areas of learning and in child initiated situations as well

look forward to finding out about others

cheers

43002[/snapback]

Are you and I related basilbrush.

I could have written your post myself.

I'm now introducing key words for recognition then I put word mats on the tables when we are writing and encourage those that are ready to find the key words that they need.

Mel C :o

In the NLS documnet - Additional Literacy Support or is it Early Literacy Support - the one that came with the trolley full of goddies there is a file of lesson plans - in there there is an activity on writing instructions and there are some great pictures that we use for sequecning and further on in the year for writing instructions etc.... your lit co-ord should know about it - another tip - there are loads of sequencing from stories ie goldilocks and cinderalle and number rhymes that we have copied and laminated and use on a washing line

Sarah xoxoxoxoxo

I would like my year 1 chn to write a recipe and instructions for making a sandwich. Do you know where i could find any recipe cards for that .

42974[/snapback]

Have you tried looking at www.nutrition.org.uk ? Lots of recipe cards on there :D

And thanks, Sarah, for the tip about the ELS material (you can obtain copies free from DfES by the way)

I work in a Foundation Stage unit so the children are younger but usually introduce the idea with 'Pass the Jam Jim' and 'The sandwich Max made'

We talk about the ingredients needed to make a jam sandwich then make a class shopping list. For independent writing the children like to make their own shopping lists which we share to produce a list we take to the local shop to buy ingredients. Then we discuss the order we need to do things and produce instructions which the children use to write their own recipes. For some this may be a series of pictures with labels or for the more able it will be step by step instructions with an illustration of the finished product.

• 1 year later...

Hi, this is my first time on the forum. It is probably too late but you can find instructions and simple sequencing pictures for making a sandwich in the ELS folder.

Helen

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)