Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Activities With Maths For Nursery Childr

Can anyone suggest any numeracy activites to do with christmas please i am really struggling.

Also I need some outdoor activites please help me

Kirsty xx :D

Three Kings, 3 gifts, 12 days of christmas, 5 points on the Star of Bethlehem, how many presents in the sack, size/shape of the presents, weighing presents in the post office.

Outdoors - bird feeder, number of scoops of seeds/nuts needed, chart of how many birds visit it, planting bulbs, number of them and depth.

A bit rushed I'm afraid because I think my bath is ready. :D:D

repeating patterns!

if you use christmas colours, red and green, gold and silver you can you them as decorations.

With reception I used to give them a sheet with six diffferent patterned circles to colour and cut out, we hung them in strips and on the Christmas tree!

Outdoor maths -

What about making some hoops into stars and putting them onto play surface (or chalking them on) Then numbering them 1-10 (if thats what you are working up to)

Get children to use them as targets to aim bean bags at (higher numbers further away)

I have done it today for number recognition but with just plain hoops. kids loved it.

M

printing Christmas wrapping paper, use money in Christmas post office, delivering cards to the correct house, how many presents under the tree

Positional language as you decorate your class Christmas tree, e.g. would you like to put your bauble at the top/bottom in the middle of tree, etc. Choose a shape to cut and decorate as a decoration, Cooking activities e.g. Christmas cookies, no cook fudge/mint creams etc. Decorate Christmas trees cut from green card with ‘baubles’ i.e. circles of different sizes and colours. Throw the dice to decide which colour next, when complete encourage children to count e.g. how many red baubles? etc. Matching Christmas cards to appropriate size envelopes.

A Christmas counting tree. Children are given a triangle of green paper. They then collect 10 cake cases{Christmasy ones if possible}. They stick these on their triangle, 4 at the bottom, then 3, then 2 and then1. They can then decorate the cake cases with glitter and sequins.

Anita

What a great idea Mimi, I especially like the fact that we can start it at preschool and then it can be continued at home. Thank you for sharing. :D

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...
Cooking activities e.g. Christmas cookies, no cook fudge/mint creams etc.

43007[/snapback]

Hi Raine,

Could you give me the instructions for making no cook fudge and no cook mint creams.

Thanks

What about 'Five Christmas Puddings in a Bakers shop' ? You could get the children to paint Christmas puddings and then laminate them. Children could take it in turns to buy them with a real penny. You could make them really big and number them.

I'm trying to think of other number songs that you could adapt with a Christmas theme.....

:o

Hi Leedwa

No cook fudge recipe as follows;

175 gm softened butter

1 small can condensed milk

800gm sieved icing sugar

1 Put softened butter into a bowl and stir in the condensed milk. Gradually add the icing sugar.

add more sieved icing sugar if the mixture looks too thin.

2. When it is mixed together turn the fudge onto a pastry board and knead until it is smooth and easy to handle.

3. Roll out the fudge with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1cm and cut it into strips and then into neat squares.

4. Put a chocolate drop onto some of the squares (you might want to use a dab of icing to stick them!). Leave overnight on a wire rack covered with a tea towel to harden.

Variations

Experiment with different flavours by adding a few drops of vanilla or peppermint essence to the fudge mixture. or sieve 75gm of cocoa with the icing sugar to make chocolate fudge.

They look lovely if you put them into little sweet paper cases!

You can also use small shape cutters to make shaped sweets.

Hi Raine

Thank you for the recipe. Will definitely do this as an activity before Christmas. We don't have access to our babybel cooker at the moment - still lots of building work at our centre and many resources packed away in storage containers. The children will love doing this, they loved making barfi and always enjoy making no cook playdough. Also plan to write recipe on a pamphlet/handout for parents, if you don't mind. When I do this, I will send you a copy of the recipe handout, if you would like it!

Thanks again,

Louise.

:)

Hi Raine

Thank you for the recipe. Will definitely do this as an activity before Christmas. We don't have access to our babybel cooker at the moment - still lots of building work at our centre and many resources packed away in storage containers. The children will love doing this, they loved making barfi and always enjoy making no cook playdough. Also plan to write recipe on a pamphlet/handout for parents, if you don't mind. When I do this, I will send you a copy of the recipe handout, if you would like it!

Thanks again,

Louise.

:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)