Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'p' Levels For Target Setting

:( Hi,

I've read a similar topic in the dedicated Reception and Year One discussions. At my school the Reception class teacher uses 'P' levels to assess all the children, I am being pressurised by SMT to think about using them in Nursery BUT I don't think they are suitable for Nursery.

At the moment I do lots of planned assessments on the children but find it difficult to work out how to level them in a way that others will understand. Do I need to level the children in Nursery? xD

I am sure that after half term when I need to decide on my PM targets I will be pressurised into having a target for the children to reach by the end of Nursery.

Another quick question is, has anyone in Hertfordshire heard if or when Nursery staff are going to find out when they will be involved in using the FSP or will we have something different to complete? :o

Thanks Stebs x :D

Surely you should be using the stepping stones for the nursery children you are working with. I would have thought these were the appropriate levels, and if you are not totally happy with them you could, as some nurseries in Stockport have done, expand on them. The targets they should be reaching are at the end of the foundation stage not part way through, and even then it is recognised that some children will only be part way along and others will be beyond the goals.

I sometimes wonder why the foundation stage was introduced at all along with the stepping stones and goals if schools are going to practically ignore them and introduce their own levels.

Linda

Im with you on that one Linda. I think people (outside of Foundation) feel 'safer' with the 'p' scales because they know something about them, but know next to nothing about the stepping stones.

Stebbie, you shouldnt be using the p scales for nursery or reception and this is discussed elsewhere- they are designed for special needs. I have just had my PM and agreed a target that followed the whole school plan to improve reading, but based on the stepping stones. PM targets do not have to have a 'score' or level. I have done the same for my team in reception, where they have picked a reading target from the FSP. Hope you can persuade your team leader to go with this approach.

I too have been srtongly advised NOT to use the P scales! I worked out for last year a spread sheet that gives value added but now the Foundation Stage Profile has come into place, I will have to start again. But all is not lost. Birmingham are producing information that will make it easier to link ELGs with NC, therefore allowing us to tagert set. Making Links. It does seem a shame that we are having to make these links. Was the idea not that the foundation was a preparation for NC? If this was not to be the case, shouldnt the powers that be have ensured the smooth transition from one set of objectives to another. Another missed opportunity in our fledgling Key Stage.

Hi Cat33,

Perhaps when the Foundation Stage is extended into Year 1 (she says hopefully :o ) the QCA/DfES will produce the necessary document linking FS, Year 1, and Year 2. I think that Key Stage 1 does have to change to fit better with the FS, not the other way round, don't you?

:) Hi

I was very proud of myself as I went and spoke to my head and told him I wasn't happy abpout doing 'P' levels and I explained the reasons (thanks to everyone who replied and gave me in the information I needed). :o

He has subsequently arranged for an advisor from County to hold a staff meeting for myself and my nursery nurse in a few weeks time to help us think about how to track the children's progress. :D

Hope enjoy has a good half term holiday. xD

Love Stebs xx

Well done Stebbie.

Perhaps you will be able to share with us the outcome of your meeting too?

Helen, the working party that I went to at QCA was about making links with KS1. We worked on a document to make links but it was inconclusive as to what would happen next but I'm sure it will happen, I think it probably is happening but not often or frequently enough!

Susan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)