Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Sheet

Evening

The rest of the school use tracking sheets which track children's progress for reading, writing, maths and S&L. Does anybody use these. We have been asked to put one together for F2 and Y1 but the only one I have seen starts with 'end of FS profile' in the first column which is pretty useless and meaningless.

Any ideas.

Evening

The rest of the school use tracking sheets which track children's progress for reading, writing, maths and S&L. Does anybody use these. We have been asked to put one together for F2 and Y1 but the only one I have seen starts with 'end of FS profile' in the first column which is pretty useless and meaningless.

Any ideas.

42777[/snapback]

We have had the same thing. What we decided to do was to give the children one of three ratings exceeding the ELG's (ELG+) achieving the ELG's (ELG) and working towards the ELG's (ELG - ) . We could then assign a rating to children who have just entered year one but also make predictions for children currently in reception. Personally I thought this complete cobblers but it keeps those concerned with number crunching very happy as it gives them a 'baseline'. THe real problem is that one arm of the Dfes has given out suggested levels children should be achieving at each year group based on the concept that average progress should be a least half a NC level per year. Cleverly they have then worked back from where children should be at in year 6 but unfortunately that means according to this part of the Dfes , children should be achieving NC level one when leaving reception, whereas the FS guidance says that the ELG's represent what children should achieve on completing reception. Whoops, hello left hand you should get to know what right hand is doing.

Frankly it is all about trying to reduce the art of teaching into verifiable numbers that fit neatly into boxes which as we all know is exactly what children are not and will never be. Forgive them for they simply have no idea what they are trying to do is doomed to failure. GIve the number crunchers what they want with as little fuss and work as possible and concetrate on the real job of educating small human beings.

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I know its wrong too but my school wants to use p levels to give a baseline at beginning of year 1 which the year 1 teachers will understand and to predict levels for end of year 1 and 2, working on the moving up 2 thirds of a level in a year theory.

I can actually see their point but am struggling to match up p levels and early learning goals, etc. Has anyone got any info on how they match or any other great tool that they use to predict end of Year 1/2 levels!

Thanks in advance Caz

As the only use the P scales really provide is for the rest of the school I try to link the activities we use to assess the children to feed into the proforma we have for leading into the FS profile. My school as has taken our LEA suggested format and tweaked it and then I've broken it down further for nursery, we only started using it in september so not sure how effective it will actually be yet!

It is incrediably hard to try and match up P levels and ELG's as the ELG's are all at different levels ranging from a 1c up to level 2! (Therefore my advice is not to try!!) The school uses Tracker ( line graph) to track the P levels and therefore predict end of KS 1 based on Reception/Nursery levels!

If you suss out how your school moves forward on this one let us know!

Edited by Guest

Guest gburleigh
Hi

I know its wrong too but my school wants to use p levels to give a baseline at beginning of year 1 which the year 1 teachers will understand and to predict levels for end of year 1 and 2, working on the moving up 2 thirds of a level in a year theory.

I can actually see their point but am struggling to match up p levels and early learning goals, etc. Has anyone got any info on how they match or any other great tool that they use to predict end of Year 1/2 levels!

Thanks in advance Caz

44636[/snapback]

Guest gburleigh
Evening

Any ideas.

42777[/snapback]

Guest gburleigh
Hi

Thanks in advance Caz

44636[/snapback]

If you look in the special needs section of the profile handbook you will find the p scales linked to the elg's. Glenys

I have just been on a course in Essex called "Continuing the Learning Journey" and was given a document which tracks the 6 areas of learning from FS up to Level 3 - encouraging Y1 & Y2 to become more play based and following a more age appropriate curriculum rather than a watered down Senior School set up! It is very good. Essex Early Years team put it together.

heyjude

Is  there any way those of us not in Essex can look at your guidance - it sounds like good stuff!

acb

44987[/snapback]

I got a copy of the "Continuing the learning journey" training package from QCA. It includes a DVD and a file full of information, photocopiable materials etc for an inset training day.

tel: 08700 60 60 15

fax: 08700 60 60 17

email: orderline@qca.org.uk

order ref: QCA/05/1590

ISBN: 1-85838-720-5

Peggy

Hi

We still have not come up with anything due to xmas pressures, etc. Glenys- can't find the p levels in the FS profile file, am i being thick?

Is there any way we can have a copy of the Essex guidance Hey Jude on tracking? It sounds great. Have got the file Continuing the Learning Journey but has no info in there

Cazza, we use our own tracking sheets with the headings FS1, FS2, FS3, FS4/1C, 1B, 1A etc up to level 3. These are used for Y1 and Y2 as well. We go by the descriptors in the FSC guidance for FS1-4 and then switch to NC descriptors. (Of course, this is all in addition to the dreaded FSP!). We used to do the tracking sheets for every area of the curriculum (as subdivided in KS1) but found this impossible so now we only do them for english, maths and science (and only at the end of the year in Reception, but half termly in KS1).

It is very good but I was told that copies are no longer  available (has anyone got hold of one recently?)  although you can download the document from the QCA website without the DVD.

Sue

44996[/snapback]

Think they are available again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)