Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

CL: Speaking

"Rockets blast off into outer space ... we can see the moon in the day time ... but not in space because of summer bedtime." (41m)

I would really appreciate any comments with regard to DM statements within the 'Speaking' aspect. Uses talk to organise, sequence and clarify thinking ...?

As a single observation is this typical of the child's use of language to order and sequence their thoughts. Are they doing the same thing when not linked to something (I'm guessing) is a passion of theirs to talk about?

Cx

• Like 1

As a single observation is this typical of the child's use of language to order and sequence their thoughts. Are they doing the same thing when not linked to something (I'm guessing) is a passion of theirs to talk about?

Cx

He is a very bright little boy (A&T in Mathematics) whose communication and language is very good. He was responding to a question 'what do we know about 'space'?' during a mind mapping activity in the second week of our topic. He had not shown any particular interest in the topic before it was introduced to the class.

He is almost secure at 30-50m (Speaking) - as to the the few statements that have not been highlighted, I am sure he is doing them, but just hasn't been seen if that makes sense (sorry about the clumsy way of wording it!). I am struggling a bit, with this statement 'Uses talk to organise, sequence and clarify thinking ...?' in 40-60+m v 'Uses talk to connect ideas ... ' in 30-50m ; I have added some examples of his language ...

"When my daddy was in his van the battery was flat down. [i wonder why the battery was flat] 'Cause maybe he was drivin' on a bumpy road' 36m

"Now it's huge [so, how did you make the light bigger?] You lift it up like this and then it gets huge." 36m (holding a torch on the floor and then lifting/holding it away from the floor)

"I did my apron all by myself. [well done, then what did you do?] Roll up my sleeve, then my other sleeve and wash my hands." 36m

"I'm shutting the gate ... else they will come in ... the big children." 37m

"I got a idea ... we could put the cardboard here [using water, pans, guttering] ... it's a waterslide." 39m

"If you see a hedgehog they will keep the snails and slugs away."

"I have apples at home. [do you have an apple tree?] No, but I have strawberry plants ... but some of the slugs have eaten them." 42m

Your thoughts would be welcome!

Uses talk to connect ideas, explain what is happening and anticipate what might happen next, recall and relive past experiences.

I'd say he was demonstrating the 30 - 50 connecting ideas and explaining/anticipating etc.

Uses talk to organise, sequence and clarify thinking, ideas, feelings and events

I'd say he was organising his thoughts and clarifying/sequencing linked to ideas - how about feelings and events? How is his extended speech - imaginative language etc?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)