Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fsp Reading Scale And Ks1 Key Words

I am an Early years coordinator in a First school and at the moment we are working together with KS1 on transitional issues.Our KS1 coordinator doesnt really have much knowledge yet of foundation stage profiles and is finding it difficult to relate them to KS1 assessments especially in Reading.

We are working from the idea that an average reception child will score 6 or 7 on the scale document by the end of reception to be working within the ELGS is this right

she says ,the NLS expects Reception age chn should know 45 Key words at the end of Reception so really the child shouldnt achieve the point but the level 6 profile score (average child)says a range of familiar and common words at least 20 and doesn.t say ALL .

anyone help please I have a Moderation meeting tomorrow and I am taking my KS1 coordinator with me so Id really appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you :o

I agree with you- the guidance does say 20 words- so does not mean all the year R words.

Thats the trouble with all the different strategies- we should be going with the profile- and I give the point if child can recognise 20 words.

L

I agree with you- the guidance does say 20 words- so does not mean all the year R words.

Thats the trouble with all the different strategies- we should be going with the profile- and I give the point if child can recognise 20 words.

L

42495[/snapback]

thank you Im not going mad then .I will bring up this point at the moderation meeting and get back to report what is said :)

That's what I keep saying :o ... the government doesn't sit to clarify what is to be done... Foundation Stage or old Reception. Come on! They should have sat to put a clear division of what is expected and not keep us like the jam in the sandwich... grr.

Hi there,

In my school I am told that all they R words must be learnt and be able to be written too.

Have had lots of heated discussion, in the end we can only do our best.

Abi

Hi there,

In my school I am told that all they R words must be learnt and be able to be written too.

Have had lots of heated discussion, in the end we can only do our best.

Abi

42551[/snapback]

I have been to our moderators meeting tonight and my Yr 1 colleague came with me .We voiced our worries and everyone in the room agreed .Our Early Years advisor(new to post) said that the analysis of data much further up the chain had thrown up lots of points for the government including the one I mentioned and a re think and revamp of the NNS and NLS is under discussion So perhaps we wont have long to wait until they solve the problems :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)