Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

staff training resources

Hi all

am thinking after doing peer obs that I need to do some staff training an pretty jolly quick. I have two new members of staff and some that have been there for years but really need to brush up on some skills.

So was thinking I used to use teachers tv etc... but that doesn't exist anymore. EYFS CD not quite what I am after either. I know you can buy DVD's that have lots of little video clips but they are too expensive for me. So can anyone suggest any links that might be helpful??? my staff are definitely visual learners and I feel that something like a case study, or work through example we can do as a team would be really useful.

Well at least would give them less excuse to pretend they don't know :P

what do you need to work on...give us a clue ...i'm sure we'll be able to find something!

oops lol sorry meant to put that in lol :P been that kind of day :D

I would like to work on sustained shared thinking, open questions (although I think I may just have to provide a sheet with some examples on for that one) and encouraging them to be more flexible with the activities - I thought that maybe if we could see an activity in action and then talk about all the ways in which it could be developed it might help them to open up their horizons a bit.

You can still find some of the videos from teachers tv online, archived under some other website whose name escapes me - I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly. Kathy Brodie has also recently written a book on SST which might be useful for you to look at.

You can still find some of the videos from teachers tv online, archived under some other website whose name escapes me - I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly. Kathy Brodie has also recently written a book on SST which might be useful for you to look at.

thank you will go and have a look for her haven't seen that one yet

i've posted this link before (bit American) but maybe helpful

http://www.highscope.org/Content.asp?ContentId=381

thank you, don't mind American lol ;)

There are some really good vids on YouTube, we have used some to do an observation on a child during a staff meeting, all do obs then talk about what we picked out and the links, next steps etc! May be worth a browse!x

This is the kind of thing I was thinking of doing will go and have another look, first time round didn't really come up with what I was after but will look again. Thanks everyone

Hi,

http://shop.early-education.org.uk/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=trainingmaterials

Supporting young children's sustained shared thinking, a DVD by Marion Dowling is good and costs £22, I've put the link above.

The Teacher's TV films can be found on the TES website, link below:

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6081830&s_cid=RESads_TTVvideos#.U7wxXfk7um4

There are some good clips about speech and language development and useful strategies here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joqVklnnPoY&list=TL5yGxAUCFchvPAUbQvh26yYbTUdxqIqmc

I've attached a handout I made for settings to give some advice about asking questions, including some examples of how to start interactions without using questions.

Good luck with the training.

ASKING QUESTIONS WITH YOUNG CHILDREN.doc