Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staggered intake in September

Hi I was wondering, do you stagger your nursery or reception intake in September? Or do you get them in for the full entitlement from day 1? I understand that nursery are entitled to begin 15 hours from day 1 due to funding but some settings stagger this. I know some reception classes stagger it by bringing all of the children in until 1pm at the beginning, then increasing it gradually so the eldest will start full time, and stagger this over 2-3 weeks before they are all in full time. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Our School Reception (I'm not school) have half the class a couple of days & then the other half of the class a few more days and them they all come together - I'm sure it probably makes sense to the teachers, but the mums hate it especially if a child has older siblings already at school, they don't understand why they go one day and not the next and if you are a working mum you've already struggled covering 6 weeks holiday - plus so many children have left full day care they probably are doing shorter hours by attending school!!

I have them all in, full time from the first day. They are tired out at the end of the week but I just adjust expectations, planning etc as necessary. Since going to a single intake a couple of years ago I have had children who haven't done a full week from the start but the days that are in have been full days.

We have the 60 children in (2 classes in 1 space) for two weeks of half days, gradually working up to staying for lunch and a full day. It works well for the children being the little fish in the big pond takes some getting used to, also as we have children coming from many different settings it helps for them to mix gradually with unfamiliar adults and peers.

We take the youngest ten children in on day one and day two. We add the eldest ten on day three and four (so twenty in total) and on day five we add in the middle ten. We have 120 children in Reception over four classes. All children stay for the whole day. We adjust planning and expectations. About half of the children come from the privately run nursery next to the school.

In our school based Nursery the majority have not previously attended a pre school setting and we use the first week as induction as follows:

Day 1 The children come in for a 1 hour session with a parent I split the class in half so that means I have a max of 13 new children and parents in 9:15 - 10:15 and then the second lot for the hour 10:45 - 11:45

Day 2 Same organisation as Day 1 but they stay for the hour without their parents

Day 3 Two hour session but whole class.

Day 4 Full three hour session all together.

Works for us...

Mel

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)