Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning and assessment

Hi Everyone,

I need some help!

I have worked in a reception class for 3 years. Recently got a new head in school and he is not happy with planning, assessment or the learning journeys, or anything I do it seems. He is giving me 5 weeks to get it sorted. I'm now in a stress and worried about my job.

Would any one be kind enough to share their planning.

Ouch! Has he given you anything specific about why he doesn't like those things? If you know what the problem is it would be easier to find a solution or maybe explain how your existing practice does do that thing just maybe not in the way he's expecting.

its unusual for a head to know much about the early years! Is he very experienced?

I'm happy to send you a sample of my planning if it will help- if any thing I over plan phonics planning for each group, inside provision, outside provision, activity plan for first few days of the week to annotate and respond to child interest and needs, and then if Ofsted come or advisor I give them my session plans.

My profiles are learning journey books that I still make the old cut and stick way- but Ofsted loved them and our learning story- the long obs that I do every long term or so with a focus on learning characteristics. next steps for the children in learning journeys and on clipboards for helpers to use for child initiated play.

Chin up, heads have to justify their huge wages, and will always make out that it was awful until they got there!

Guest tinkerbell

Hi I agree with nina beans that many heads don not have early years experience and so do need to get their heads around it.My new head three years ago went on a couple of courses with me and fortnightly works in my reception class for a morning so she has really got her head around it.

Planning I don.t do much planning at all.I have a weekly A3 plan on my classroom wall which I fill in as the week progresses?We are At the stage of the year where I suggested a week off butterfly work what should we do ? I get a roll of wallpaper and write down all the childrens ideas and we tick them off as the week goes by.It is through setting up the area s in the classroom and writing the challenge cards that I home in to the eyfs statements and then the questioning of individual children as we work with them .

I do listen to individual readers and do assessments on phonics and group certain children for group reading or phonic games.

get your head to spend a morning with you he will see how you cannot possibly write it all down as things change and you move with it.

I have the EYFS laminated on 2 A4 pieces of paper to cover the 30-50months and the 40-60 months a

L the statements for each stage back to back.I refer to these and discuss with my TA what focus we need for activities etc

Good luck

Tinkerbell

Hi Thank you for your replies. I have never felt so down and made to feel I cant do my job.

Nina beans I would love to see a sample of your planning, that would be fantastic. I have spent all weekend worrying and not got anywhere. Another late night for me I think.

thanks again

kazi

Edited by Beau
Remove email address

its unusual for a head to know much about the early years! Is he very experienced?

I'm happy to send you a sample of my planning if it will help- if any thing I over plan phonics planning for each group, inside provision, outside provision, activity plan for first few days of the week to annotate and respond to child interest and needs, and then if Ofsted come or advisor I give them my session plans.

My profiles are learning journey books that I still make the old cut and stick way- but Ofsted loved them and our learning story- the long obs that I do every long term or so with a focus on learning characteristics. next steps for the children in learning journeys and on clipboards for helpers to use for child initiated play.

Chin up, heads have to justify their huge wages, and will always make out that it was awful until they got there!

hi there!

could you please share your planning with me too?

many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

hi there!

could you please share your planning with me too?

many thanks

Hi Ladies,

Please could you share your planning with me too? I am happy to share mine, just not sure how :S

Thanks x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I'm going into reception after 7 years in KeyStage 1. I just wondered if anyone could share a few planning ideas with me as feeling a little confused by my present reception teachers plans. I know that it changes due to your class and children but a basic general outline or daily timetable would at least start me off.

Thank you

Nick

Hello Nick,

Just wanted to welcome you to the FSF and thank you for making your first post. What an exciting time ahead for you! Have you discovered the resource library? Might be some useful bits and pieces there to start you off. Sorry I can't help further- not a reception teacher :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)