Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

are baby rooms typically more 'poorly' than other age groups?

This isn't strictly work related so thought I'd wander over here

My friend is a first time mum and has gone back to work recently. Her daughter is in a nursery baby room (not mine, not my area) and she feels she's getting poorly all the time

I've tried reassuring her about 'new nursery syndrome' and low immune systems when they are little and she'll 'toughen' up and be better when she's been there a little while longer

It worked for a while but now she's got it in to her head their hygiene is at fault - I'm pretty sure it's not that as we've had similar bouts of illness here and friends have in their nurseries - the seasonal stuff that whips round fast.

I'm more of the opinion that as they are all 'vulnerable' newbies or little, then they pick it up quicker and as there's a room full of them then it passes quicker, and they aren't always 'poorly' when they are brewing so contaminate before the exclusion applies. Added to that they crawl around and suck everything etc then it's easily passed

I'm running out of 'tactful' stuff to say so thought I'd gather a bit of 'statistical' evidence to back up my reassurances - well I'm hoping it backs it up!

if not - teach me some tact instead ladies! Think she's worrying to me as I'm in the trade! and it's wearing me down!

Yes, and added to that- the reason why the babies are there anyway- parents needing to work, I guess sometimes the littlies may return a tad earlier than they should after minor illnesses too. :(

(I'm not saying that in a 'tut tut' way, I just think the financial pressure for some working parents must be very hard)

To be honest in our nursery I wouldn't say the babies are poorly more than anyone else, when viruses and bugs strike they tend to randomly get a couple from each room (3 rooms)! Maybe they have a few more runny noses but nothing that keeps them off! Although as you said it's the ones that have just started or the ones that have never been in contact much with others before starting! Sorry that doesn't really help!

Thanks everyone - Looby Loo I'd not thought of maybe some have popped them back in a bit sooner than maybe they were ready. That's a really good point as time off work is something she is very conscious of too.

I'll keep chipping away, I guess to be fair it's all new to her and she's had 'ideal' pictures of her little girl having a fab time getting covered in paint etc and it's not quite yet working out that way - she is settled there though so that's been a weight off her shoulders :-)

Ditto everyone else's comments BUT

It's not just the children either - I always warn new staff members new to working in childcare that they too will go down with a raft of different lurgies during their first year as they too are going to be exposed to a whole range of bugs, coughs, colds etc. and have to build up their immunity too!

Ditto everyone else's comments BUT

It's not just the children either - I always warn new staff members new to working in childcare that they too will go down with a raft of different lurgies during their first year as they too are going to be exposed to a whole range of bugs, coughs, colds etc. and have to build up their immunity too!

good point SueJ - I'll drop that in too ;-)