Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

moderating speaking

How many children do you expect to give exceeding in speaking?

I have some very able children in my class but after looking through the exemplification materials, I don' t feel I can give any exceeding.

It might all depend on their starting points though - children who came in above a stage of development typical for their age ought to be exceeding or they've made limited progress and then you would have the children where you have narrowed the gap from on entry...there's no discrete amount you would expect.

My independent schools would have most children exceeding from experience for example.

Cx

Guest tinkerbell

I have two children exceeding in speaking.They are the two who ask questions all the time and initiate conversations.They think before they speak and both have enquiring minds.I wrapped one up today in some cloth winding it round and round his body like a cocoon (we are doing the very hungry caterpillar) He said Is this what the caterpillar felt like? He would have felt all tight and squashed.....They are the two who notice any changes in the classroom and ask what or why .They draw on past experiences and make suggestions all the time.They enjoy speaking to an audience and will talk to the school in assemblies about what the class has been doing without being shy or fazed.

If exceed is like the old number 9 then I would think 10% of the class would or could be getting exceed? If we are still thinking 10% of school is 'gifted and talented'.

Every class is different so you may not have any I only had one last year.

Tinkerbell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)