Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'looked After Children'

Hi

Does anyone have a Policy for 'Looked after children'? We have been advised by our LEA to have a named person responsible for working together with all other agencies involved with any 'looked after child'. Have tried to search various LEA websites but cannot find anything relating to Pre Schools and our responsibilities.

I've not come across this before either and wonder what would need to be in such a policy other than that the preschool/nursery would liaise with outside agencies in the best interests of any 'looked after' child. Having never had a looked after child in our setting I can't help much. Maybe it could form part of another policy (e.g. Equal opps or Parental involvement?)

Perhaps you could make it part of the responsibility of the named person for Equal Opportunities (if you already have one of those!) to liaise with outside agencies about 'looked after' children to ensure that they are not disadvantaged in your setting because they are looked after. Sorry I don't have a policy to share with you - I seem to have one on just about everything else!

Carolyn

We had a 'looked after' child last year. Personally I think it is quite a nice phrase! Just me then :o

:D

Anyway, we weren't asked to have a designated person for the area but his keyworker was invited to share observations etc at case meetings. As it happened, I (as supervisor) attended with her as she was really nervous. It was fine tho, his social worker, his carer and his liaison lady from... ooh it escapes me... ESLAC I think (the last bit is looked after children anyway!) and held at our own setting.

Perhaps the designated person is so they can be 'up' on current legislation etc but I would imagine it may come under CP? In some cases there is also a CP issue after all.

I do know a little about this I think.........apparently if you have (or a child joins) a looked after child (fostered or about to be adopted) in your setting, the childs social worker should visit the setting and fill out a form, they (social worker) then writes a Personal Education Plan for the child, a bit like an IEP I guess.

The social worker also should facilitate any meetings regarding transition from pre-school to school.

But I guess this is only good practice anyway, the sort of things you all do when a new child enters your setting, or a child goes through a major life change regardless of what sort of family they come from.

I guess it varies from each local authority exactly what provision is made. .

We have had, at various different times, 3 foster children in our setting as we have a lady who fosters in our village. I was not aware we had to have a policy about them! They usually only stay a short while before they return to their parents or are adopted. We keep a 'spare place' for such emergency care children but are not generally told much about them.

Yes, our meeting was to form an education plan adn as you say it is just an IEP.

I think it depends on the situation tho as we have also had children in foster care without any such meetings with us. This lad was being adopted so maybe that's why?

We have to have a LAC co-ordinator and a policy. We have to keep spaces available for a LAC.

The LAC Co-ordinator will be responsible for liasing with the authorities and professionals involved.

Do we have a spell check on this site.

Net x

never heard that before but as a Manager i would have put that under my SENCO's responsibility, as i have had quite a few children that have Social Services involved even if the child doesn't have Special Educational needs. generally i sit in on most sessions if i can just so i know whats going on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)