Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Builds stories around toys...

The staff in our unit disagree on this statement. E.g one member feels that if a child is pretending to be a vet and making the animals better this counts as evidence, but another member feels it is more about making up a story e.g. with small worls animals -'Oh no the dog is running after the rabbit, quick rabbit down the hole ....etc.

What are your thoughts on this statement. Has anyone got any evidence of the DM that they would be willing to share.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

being imaginative 30-50 months

Engages in imaginative role-play based on own first-hand
experiences.
• Builds stories around toys, e.g. farm animals needing rescue
from an armchair ‘cliff’.
Have to say that i feel the dressing up scenario fits in with he first statement more....builds stories around toys suggests to me that the children are able to use toys to create a story rather than playing it out themselves....much more about symbolism?
Perhaps the difference between being an actor and being the director???
  • Like 1

being imaginative 30-50 months

Engages in imaginative role-play based on own first-hand
experiences.
• Builds stories around toys, e.g. farm animals needing rescue
from an armchair ‘cliff’.
Have to say that i feel the dressing up scenario fits in with he first statement more....builds stories around toys suggests to me that the children are able to use toys to create a story rather than playing it out themselves....much more about symbolism?
Perhaps the difference between being an actor and being the director???

that is a brilliant explanation that i will use for our staff. small world play is a good area to observe this. last week a girl was putting all the bugs under a piece of wood in the sand tray. she had taken a frog to the tray and was pretending it was trying to find them and eat them ....

Guest youngrisers

Children's imagination is wonderful and I love the pretend play and the additions of animals, dolls and dressing up combined with language . love the storytelling and conversations between children and I love eavesdropping on how they are imaging different scenarios.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)