Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mud, glorious mud :)

narnia

Today was one of those wonderful, spontaneous days where you thank heaven for children's desire to simply play and experience......well, 'stuff'. It started of simply enough. One of the children was playing in the mud kitchen and spilled some water. This created a pool at her feet, so she started splashing in it. By degrees, this puddle became a bit of a small mud bath. Another child joined in the play, then another, attracted by the squeals of delight, then another..........you get the picture? So: dilemma ( well it wasn't really (!) )........do we tell them to stop.........or............do we get them to take off their shoes and experience the soft, squishy mud between their toes, do we laugh with them as the mud squeezed itself up their legs, do we get more water and pour it in, to make an ever increasing bath, do we offer water to wash feet, only to find a line of children, howling with laughter as cold water swooshes over their feet, only for the child to then jump back into the mud.....and then slip up in it so there are now muddy bottoms to deal with as well?? And then.tick......tock.......tick....tock........we realise that time has passed by ever so quickly and the first parent is arriving and it's their child who is in the thick of things?? What will they say? Are we in for a thunderstorm of 'what on earth were you thinking?.........................absolutely not. We had a group of parents laughing and saying how wonderful it is that their children got the chance to experience such play and how great we are for allowing it to happen. One parent even asked if she could join in next time :) Another has offered to bring us a pile of old towels so we can dry off feet and several said they will bring more old clothes in to change children as necessary. The photos are fabulous........if i can find some that I can share with you, I will.

Today is a day that I will long remember, for all the right reasons. We can learn a lot about life from children. :)

• Like 14

very similiar happened to us on Monday. It was a child jumping in muddy puddles like 'Peppa Pig'! He had wellies and full waterproofs on however! On reflection I should of encouraged him to take them off haha not sure how he would of reacted tho! But as hes my grandson I can vouch his parents would of had the same attitude as yours Narnia :-) Great story love it :-) thankyou for sharing x

• Like 1

that's been so lovely to read on a Friday...thanks for sharing Narnia :-)

How fab that the parents were able to see the sheer joy for themselves that these little things bring (instead of just the pile of muddy clothes in the bag at the end of the day) - now in future when they get that bag of dirty clothes they'll have a beautiful image in their mind ;-)

your job was done to perfection!