Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

moderating 40-60+ PSE and C+L help

nursery and reception staff are meeting to discuss the overlap wooly statements,as reception concerned that the skills are not demonstrated when they move up, so any advice gratefully received!! these are the ones we disagree on

• Aware of the boundaries set, and of behavioural expectations in the setting
  • Beginning to be able to negotiate and solve problems without aggression, e.g. when someone has taken their toy
  • Maintains attention, concentrates and sits quietly during appropriate activity

they say there is lots more going on in reception - assemblies every day (we just go to one or two a term), play time in the playground, lunchtime, ICT suite etc etc. but i do not feel it is fair on our children who have been with us for 5 terms to be penalised just because we don't do all of the things they do

many of ours are able to meet those statements also in our environment...we have playroom rules that they follow, changes in routine that they cope well with, there must be many, particularly based around confidence that regress when they move into school, but if they coped in setting they will soon become confident in ne surroundings, learn and follow new boundaries and cope with the expectations....I agree sooty99, if we witness it, we record it :)

many of ours are able to meet those statements also in our environment...we have playroom rules that they follow, changes in routine that they cope well with, there must be many, particularly based around confidence that regress when they move into school, but if they coped in setting they will soon become confident in ne surroundings, learn and follow new boundaries and cope with the expectations....I agree sooty99, if we witness it, we record it :)

that's a good way of looking at it - they should be by half term i would have thought ..... and reception assess half way through the year, so if they use our assessments as on entry, there should be lots of progress by then, as long as they have supported children in settling in

as long as they have supported children in settling in

This! (and not just expect them to seamlessly adjust!)

I think some (not all by any means) forget that for some children, nursery has literally been their life experience. Even some of our most confident children wobble as soon as parents start talking about big school etc

By the original post it means the R teacher should therefore only be judging her children on the experiences of yr 1 - crazy! You can only judge on what you see and have those obs to back it all up

No-one can predict how a child is going to react after a possible 6 wk gap and a life changing event - stick to your guns and if they want to use your assessment as a starting point great; if not, then it makes a mockery of your assessment process (and wastes your time!) as you are effectively making it up!

children should get the recognition they deserve for this particular moment in time :( (another thing the powers that be in high office are trying to rob them of!)

(Can you tell we've been through this!)

This! (and not just expect them to seamlessly adjust!)

I think some (not all by any means) forget that for some children, nursery has literally been their life experience. Even some of our most confident children wobble as soon as parents start talking about big school etc

By the original post it means the R teacher should therefore only be judging her children on the experiences of yr 1 - crazy! You can only judge on what you see and have those obs to back it all up

No-one can predict how a child is going to react after a possible 6 wk gap and a life changing event - stick to your guns and if they want to use your assessment as a starting point great; if not, then it makes a mockery of your assessment process (and wastes your time!) as you are effectively making it up!

children should get the recognition they deserve for this particular moment in time :( (another thing the powers that be in high office are trying to rob them of!)

(Can you tell we've been through this!)

this is the problem with tracking..... we need to show progress and so do reception, so we do keep down a bit, but our 5 term children will not show enough progress if we dumb them down. and we have 3 hours a day to achieve as much as possible, whereas they have 5 hours a day.

i love the bit about her judging them on experiences of year 1!! think i'll quote that!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)