Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phase 3 Phonics help!

I have an interview on Wednesday for a Reception teaching post. I will have 15 minutes to teach 7 children a phase 3 phonics session - any ideas? I would like it to be interactive but have no idea where to start. PS I qualify as a teacher this year.

Thanks in advance Safiyya

I would suggest a quick recap/introduction of some ofthe phonemes in Phase 3. Maybe have a bag of objects using those phonemes e.g. sheep, chick and get children to write the word. Or write some words real and fake to put in the treasure chest or bin. Could have simple captions for them to match up to pictures. Hope these ideas help. If you need anything else just ask.

How about pass the parcel- with phase 3 diagraphs - one in each layer, the child who unwraps has to say a word with the sound- they can phone a friend, or 50/50 if they struggle. Have a small prize in the middle- a special pencil is fun and you can challenge them to use it to write a diagraph or a word with the diagraph you are using. It does the same as all of the above but has an excitement factor and in a small group you can really use it to grip them all!

I'd review first - but show off your ICT skills and create a phase 3 phonics power point (or borrow one...)

good luck :1b x

It will be fine I'm sure, just be mindful of the time. Each element needs to be snappy, 15 mins goes very quick! If you haven't been told what phoneme to do I would just do a range of them within your session.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)