Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

stopping playtimes - advice please!

Hi

i am struggling to fit everything into the school day with a morning and afternoon play and daily worship, does any one have any advice or success stories about stopping breaks and carrying through till lunch, Any advice or help appreciated, i would also appreciate any advice on how best to suggest it to SLT, I think the stop/start nature of playtime is disruptive to play and playtime can have a negative impact on behavior but i want to put across a good case or i know they will refuse as SLT dont like change.

Thanks in advance xx

Thanks for the reply I will have a look! This is something I feel strongly about , I'm just worried they will say no as we share a portion of the infant playground but we do have a small separate bit that we could use while ks1 have break so free flow could carry on. Also my ta's cover break duty which they wouldn't be able to do, how did you get round this? Or was it not an issue? Thanks

myself and my TA were rota'd onto break duty but the head said it would be covered by other staff. If something is happening and we do have a playtime one of us always goes and covers the break so that it's fair.

I think it's more about how you approach it with others, how you word it, how much you have thought it through and can discuss the benefits to the children. E.g. there was a thought that the children needed to see siblings but we argued that they would see them at lunch time and that actually (as we changed at the start of the year) they wouldnt know any different anyway.

My TA goes to make a drink at some point during the morning when we have a lull and neither of us miss the 'social' aspect of a break.

But, I think you have to be working in the continuous provision (not doing adult led tasks) and have your set up right otherwise this extent of time doing free flow with no adult extension COULD result in chaos/unfocussed learning.

Thank you lucie! That's really helpful! My idea is that we would have say a numeracy input with groups, 2 focused activities 1 in 1 out, some intervention group time, circle time, phonics groups and 1-1 reading during the day, with the majority of kids having more uninterrupted play, when not doing group work. written down it seems quite a lot but spaced out though out the day I feel the kids would get more purposeful play(I'm addressing continuous provision at the min) and we would get chance to do some interventions or 1-1 etc I an definitely going to suggest it. Thanks again

Definitely check out abc if you haven't already. Alistair is amazingly inspiring, really makes you see things from the child's perspective and focus on what they need, not what is wanted by the pressures of school.

Lucie

Thanks I've looked at abc, and got so many ideas! Especially for improving my continuous provision and making it purposeful and great outside area ideas. Thanks so much for the suggestion! I've just ordered 2 of his books too! Just trying to get my head round new eyfs, been a few years since I was in reception. Xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)