Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Isp Targets

We've got to put up a display in the class showing ISP Targets for reading, writing and numeracy - 3 levels for each target.

The idea is that the chn. move towards their target as the term progresses.

Really finding this difficult, especially as I don't agree with the targets set!!

Has anyone done this in their Reception classes? Any ideas?

I teach reception and have never heard of ISP targets. :o

Would you mind explaining?

41290[/snapback]

ISP targets = intensifying support targets for schools who are invovled in the programme. Catma put in a link to the DfES website a while back - try using the forum search :)

We did ISP last year, but we were really lucky because we have such a brill early years team. The ISP is not actually meant to include the foundation stage, we are a Foundation Unit. Our EY team took ISP and wrote us appropriate targets. It didn't always fit in well with school targets but we were happy. However school reviews didn't always include us and the HMI who came to assess the LEA's input wasn't ever so interested in us- although I did have her pinned up against a wall at one point. This year we are in the next thing which is called SPI or PSI or another combination of those three letters. We are having to try to fit in with school without EY support this time. I intend to look at their targets and try and link them to the stepping stones and I WILL NOT USE THE P LEVELS. Sorry its a bit of a sore point.

Well, ISP targets - part of my job so here goes....firstly the link to the recent publication re targets for ISP in FS birth to five here

I collected some different ways of sharing them from the ISP schools I support, my favourites were a flower, the centre of which has the target written in it. Make petals for each child and as they show attainment of the target their petal name is put on the flower. Another was a ladder with the targets on andthe childrens names move up the ladder.

The FS is included in the ISP, the targets should be relevant to the FS curriculum and relate to analysis of the FSP outcomes as well as the KS1/KS2 outcomes, and also to analysis of observational assessments. You can use the FSP points as age related expectations if you wish and the document gives good advice on how to manage this process. If required though targets can come from the preceeding stepping stones. You may find that a traget from a different aspect may be more approopriate, ie ; many of the tragets I have suggested for the writing aspects are infact those linked to Language for communication and thinking, e.g stick to a theme when the rest of the school is doing purpose and organisation targets.

You don't use P levels - your targets should be rooted in the FSCG. Which does make them appropriate and relevant! :)

Cxx

May be someone can help me! What i have done is taken our school focuses and then found them in the stepping stones and ELGs and made them into layered targets e.g. yellow target, blue etc ending up with the ELG. Is this right? Thanks Debs

We had to do layered targets as part of the Intensive Support Programme . Basically we had a traffic light system - Red 'I must be able to', Amber 'I should be able to' and Green 'I might be able to'. I can't say I like doing it, but the children quite liked it when given a bit of a challenge. We made sure that the children who are never going to achieve the green targets were highly praised for reaching the red target.

Good luck

Harricroft

We've got to put up a display in the class showing ISP Targets for reading, writing and numeracy - 3 levels for each target.

The idea is that the chn. move towards their target as the term progresses.

Really finding this difficult, especially as I don't agree with the targets set!!

Has anyone done this in their Reception classes? Any ideas?

41289[/snapback]

Hi,

Can't really help with ideas for the targets for the children but have a few ideas for display.

My sister works in year one and has to do a similar sort of thing. Displays she has done are

- Lots of flowers and the children all decorate a bee and move the bee towards the different flowers as they get closer to their target.

She has done a road and the children all decorate their own racing car, also lilly pads and frogs.

One I particularly liked was based on Owl Babies. She made lots of trees with the children and each child decorated a mother owl. The babies were in the furthest away tree and the children had to work hard to reach the tree with the babies in it.

The only other one I can remember involved ladybirds and leaves.

You could do it based on the hungry caterpillar or each child could create a flower by adding petals as they get closer to reaching their target.

Hope you find these ideas useful. Take care and try to have a relaxing holiday.

Boogie x :D

Boogie - love those display ideas - much more interesting than ours I'm afraid.

Magenta - we have 3 traffic lights - one with the targets written on for reading, one for writing and one for numeracy. The must target is on the red, the should is on the amber and the might is on the green. We don't put the children's names on, but draw attention to the targets at approrpiate times - this way (hopefully) children (and parents!) won't be assessing their abilities against the others in the class. We then make a note on a tracking sheet if we observe children reaching a particular target. These then get passed up to literacy and numeracy co-ordinators each half term.

Hope this makes it clearer.

Harricroft

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)