Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moderating writing

Hi All

I went on a cross authority writing moderation training last month. We looked at a examples of emerging and expected writing and the context in which it was set and we all agreed no these judgements no issues. The interesting debate came with exceeding. So I just wanted to share the debate and see what a wider audiences feelings were. The issue that caused most debate was not the quality of the writing for exceeding but the context in which it was created. The message was that if they were retelling a well known story or innovating on a well know story this was not evidence of exceeding, irrelevant of how many connectives or story language included as it was too heavily scaffolded. They challenged the use of Pie Corbetts approach as it was too heavily adult led. Thoughts??

A little confused Mx

The judgement would be based on a wider range of writing though, wouldn't it. No one piece of writing would meet the ELG just as no one piece would demonstrate exceeding skills. It's not the writing sample that is exceeding it's the child's typical skill set demonstrated through work in different contexts.

If the child is consistently demonstrating they meet all the ELG skills and go beyond them then the judgement is exceeding.

Cx

• Like 2

I agree with Catma, a child can only be judged as exceeding if they are consistently demonstrating skills that go beyond the ELG. You will probably know already without looking at a sample of work if a child is exceeding in your class as they will need to be given year 1 (level 1) objectives in order for them to be challenged and move forward with their writing. Also writing for different purposes in different contexts (like Catma said).

Hope this makes sense!

Lumpty x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)