Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nappy changing please help!

Hello

I am new to Nursery management and just have a quick question. I hope that you can help me!

We are an independent nursery and we also have a before and after school club for our nursery children and the local primary school children.

In the after school staff we always have at least 2 members of staff that are level 3 which keeps us in the correct ratios etc.

My question is we also have 2 unqualified staff in terms of paper and certificates, however they both have over 15 years experience!

These 2 staff have been told by someone else that they are not allowed to change a childs nappy as they are not level 3 qualified. All I have in our policy is that students and volunteers who do not hold L2 qualification cannot change a nappy.

Can an unqualified member of staff change a child's nappy as long as I am happy with this (given the amount of experience these staff have)?

I would really appreciate a quick reply as cant find anything on the web and I said I would get back to them in time for after school club today!!!

Well, what a load of rubbish! How do you become 'qualified' to change a nappy?? By changing nappies. As long as they are your staff, have their CRB's....oops, sorry, wrong one! anyway, they can change nappies, tell whoever told you that to go and consider whether using loo roll tubes is safe, that should keep them busy for a couple of months :)

ps, I wouldn't let students and volunteers change nappies, stick to your staff doing it.

Edited by narnia
  • Like 5

I would just add to my previous post.......as a stuent in a setting during my Degree course, I wasn't allowed to change nappies in that setting, because i was a student. Even though I own my own setting, have enhanced clearance and almost 40 years childcare experience.

• Like 1

Well, what a load of rubbish! How do you become 'qualified' to change a nappy?? By changing nappies. As long as they are your staff, have their CRB's....oops, sorry, wrong one! anyway, they can change nappies, tell whoever told you that to go and consider whether using loo roll tubes is safe, that should keep them busy for a couple of months :)

ps, I wouldn't let students and volunteers change nappies, stick to your staff doing it.

Couldn't have phrased it better. BUT ....... I don't let volunteers change nappies but for some of our CRB cleared students and apprentices changing nappies is part of what they need to do to evidence that they are capable of meeting a child's personal care needs.

• Like 2

As long as they have a CRB check and you are happy that they are competent and the child knows them it's fine! We also let students change nappies (supervised) once they have been here a while and the children know them, as this is often something that needs 'signing off' in their files!