Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

jack and the beanstalk links to addition

Has any one any good ideas for linking the teaching the concept of addition to Jack and the Beanstalk for an obseravtion. We use Numicon materials and the Numeracy coordinator is looking to see Numicon materials being used in the observation. I thought that I could perhaps use magic beans or golden coins alongside Numicon and show how to record the addition number sentence. This will be with more able children who are currently on 40-60 months but working towards ELGs. I have also been trying to think of a creative way to link it to the story so that the children have a 'reason' to be adding and my mind has gone blank. Any ideas from you creative people would be much appreciated! Thankyou !

Could Jack or the giant leave a note and two bags of golden coins asking them to help him work out how many he has altogether because he wants to buy his mum a new cow... and they can then suggest ways to combine, showing their different strategies and use of resources?

Could the lower ability draw around the numricon after counting out the amount of magic beans to make additions- they could record them on a magic bean shape.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)