Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning objectives!

Hi everyone, I am just hoping for your views and help as to how you share the learning objective for each activity with your children?

I hold my hands up and say that I share the WALT with the children for focus activities and explain the purpose of each activity but once we are in child initiated time quite often my children are unable to say what they are learning. I find this really hard with 4 year olds but I have been told this is something Ofsted are specifically looking for and asking even our youngest children what they are learning.

How do you ensure your children know what they are learning?

I recall WALT from years ago but don't know what it is. Is it simple? I saw Sue R at work some years ago, she told the children they were going to do X so they would be cleverer at Z. Seemed to work well, it was simple and to the point :)

WALT is just 'what are we learning today' and WILF 'what I'm looking for'.

I kind of do that but it takes a while for all the activities....my advisor suggested having the objectives on cards on each table/area - but I'm not sure on the benefit of this if you can't read or understand it.

Our WALT for child initiated is always a psed one.

eg

I can take steps to resolve conflicts with other children, e.g. finding a compromise.

I am beginning to be able to negotiate and solve problems without aggression, e.g. when someone has taken my toy.

I can play alongside other children who are engaged in the same theme.

How can you plan any other kind when you dont know where the children's learning will take them?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)