Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cutting And Sticking

catalogues - will encourage all sorts of cutting and can be used as a resource for many activities.

cutting plasticene, provides a good resistance to the scissors and so strengthens muscles.

Activities that strengthen th pincer grip style hold required for scissors - see other discusssion on pencil control somewhere!!

i draw a variety of different lines (wavy, straight, zig, zag etc) on different papers (photocopying so you have plenty) and let the children practice their cutting skills. Not knowing what to do with the results we turned all the strips into a giant paper chain and just kept adding to it!! Lovely for maths too (shape and length) and with Celebration topics coming up its a great way to add an instant display :o

I have a great pair of 'squeezy' scissors that my little ones who havent yet mastered the standard type scissors use. These really seem to help. I think most educational suppliers have them (I've just checked the Galt catalogue and they are called 'easy hold scissors' £6.99)

Small strips of paper about 4inches by 2 inches that only need to be cut in half with a few cuts might intice your less confidant cutters to have a go. Provided them with a quick postive result and hopefully encourage more practise.

We often fill the water tray (minus the water!) or tuff spot with lots of scraps of paper - different types of paper that would normally end up in the re-cycling bin - crepe paper, tissue paper, newspaper, magazine pictures, computer paper, etc. The children love standing around the tray just snipping and cutting the paper. We offer different types of scissors - you can get some wtih zig-zag and curved edges. It gives the children an opportunity to practise their scissor skills without having to produce an end result, which can sometimes put them off trying.

using card to cut instead of paper is alot easier for children who are just starting to use scissors.

Make sure the scissors children use can actually cut the card/paper/fabric easily (the blades often are too blunt to cut certain things or are covered in glue remnants :o ).

This is a song I use to help children remember how to use scissors.

[Tune is Frere Jacques

Keep your thumbs up

Keep your thumbs up

When you cut

When you cut

We can cut with scissors

We can cut with scissors

Open shut

Open shut.

Anita

You know how innovative we nursery staff are = I thought I would try and photocopy a simple teddy tray puzzle, with the pieces randomly placed on the copier, so the children could try and cut out the pieces and reassemble the teddy. It worked really well and appeared to motivate even the most reluctant boys. The quality of the cutting out was better than normal and it didn't matter that the pieces were roughly cut because once the picture was assembled it was still clearly a teddy. We had the masking tape on hand if anyone wanted to stick their accidents back together and have another try for those who were concerned they hadn't done it very well (their perception, not mine, presumably from home....). Definitely a good activity and one I will be repeating.

My school have a book from LDA based on cutting skills, it's got some nice activites for example making a bookmark with the frayed bits at the end.

Also very good for the very poor, good progression as well (starts simple works up!)

Twinkle*

xxxx :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)