Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Henna

Because we are doing an arabic theme this term i would like to do some henna designs with the children. Is there a way of doing it other than using henna because henna takes a long time to dry and the children will smudge it very quickly.

We used a brown felt pen! Water-based so that it would wash off easily and another year we let the children choose their colours. We also designed our patterns on paperhands, they make a nice display! We also used henna one year and if you only put small patterns on they dont really create too much of a problem--my Asian support staff were very keen to do this with the children and do it properly and although I was a bit concerned that we might be stepping on parents toes no one complained.

warning....

just be aware that it is possible to have an allergic reaction to Henna and to patch test before using it on children... a friends child ended up with a severe reaction from this and ended up needing hospital treatment....

Inge

hi there

I asked people to collect eyebrow pencils and these seemed to work fine although not as effective as the real stuff. In the past when we have used henna we have sent a note home to parents asking if they would like their child to participate and give permission.

We planned to do this a couple of years ago and sent out letters asking if parents wanted their children to take part - surprising we got a unanimous response (we had warned that the henna would stain for several days), then the night before we were supposed to do this there was a story on the news about some quite horrific reactions. We decided to cancel the henna - the children were really upset as they had been looking forward to this. As a spur of the movement idea we used brown paint. It was better than nothing - but cracked and flaked a little. The children also draw round their hands and cut out and did patterns using felt tips.

I like the idea of eye brow pencils. Might try this this year. Anyone got any other ideas?

Harricroft

When my grandson went to a fancy dress party as a pirate, my daughter used liquid eyeliner to do a pretend Tattoo, apparently it was very successful and easily cleaned off. Again, I think caution with reactions ( can you get liquid eyeliner for sensitive skin?)

Another option would be to use face paints.

Peggy

Because we are doing an arabic theme this term i would like to do some henna designs with the children. Is there a way of doing it other than using henna because henna takes a long time to dry and the children will smudge it very quickly.

41012[/snapback]

The big problem with henna is that it is semi permanent we bought some beautiful mehndi stencils and have resorted to using washable brush felt pens to decorate the childrens hands.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)