Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS Disclosures - Policy?

I am faced with the enormous task of making sense of the DBS system. We are now at a stage where we need to put our policy on DBS into writing. However, I am struggling to understand the Ofsted document on it. I feel that it is open to a lot of misinterpretation. I am keen to know if anybody has a policy that they would be happy to share. I can see lots of school ones on the internet but not many ones specifically to nurseries.

I am also keen to know how nurseries are managing the payment of the checks particularly the update service. If you are asking your staff to pay for all or part of the checks or update then are you recording this in your staff contracts??? And deducting from payroll???

Aagghhhh!!! I feel it is a minefield. It used to be so easy whereas now it just seems so much more complicated.

If anyone feels they can help I would hugely appreciate it!!!

Many thanks! :rolleyes:

What parts of it are you finding difficult and what can be misrepresented? I recently did one for our new manager and found it simple.

We haven't got a policy however which was a nuicance, we paid but after 7 months in the job she's decided to leave!

What parts of it are you finding difficult and what can be misrepresented? I recently did one for our new manager and found it simple.

We haven't got a policy however which was a nuicance, we paid but after 7 months in the job she's decided to leave!

Does that mean you are thinking of writing a policy to cover you for this then Rea?

As we haven't done any DBS checks as yet I'm interested to hear what decision have you made on the 'update service' are you...

staff pay for it?

setting pay for it?

Not bothering with update service?

I'm not sure. I'd like new staff to pay for their own and us give them the money back after 12 months (?) but, what if they can't afford it? I do think it needs looking ay though, especially as they can reuse it.

The update service isnt mandatory though is it? My understanding of it is that part of the service is to make rechecks quicker instead of the old system of having to have a new check for Brownies, School volunteer, etc you can now register with the DBS as an individual and give your details to a prospective employer and they can run a quick check.

I'm not happy at having to pay an admin fee for volunteers though, five new committee need one and at £8.50 each thats a huge sum for us.