Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Profoundly deaf in right ear

Hello again

I have a little boy attending the setting. Mum said he is deaf in right ear, however we should not worry about it and continue as with all the other children.

However I note he is copying rather than understanding and I presume this is due to his hearing. I have started to sign with him, but he doesn't do signing at home.

He is also extremely small for his age and has a large rib cage and head.

I get the feeling there's more to it all than meets the eye but mum says no.

What shall I do? Who can I contact for help if mum is not agreeable?

you don't say how old he is but has he been seen by his HV for any of his developmental checks? She could be someone to contact or is he under a paediatrician for the hearing loss? Do you have a FS advisor or area senco who could come in and advise? Keep observing and noting development (or lack of) and keep communicating with mum, both strengths and concerns need to be shared regularly just in case you have to have difficult conversations further down the road

could you say you need a copy of his medical reports for your records? this would tell you what the issues are.Do you have a sensory consortium type service...is he known to them? Who has diagnosed the hearing loss ...there should be other professionals involved. Does he wear hearing aids (or should he?????) he sounds very very similar to one of our little ones who has a chromosomal abnormality

I think you're right about there being more going on here. Fnleymaid's suggestion of asking for a copy of his hearing test result is a really good idea. You could tell mum that you need to show that you're meeting his needs and to do that, you need more information, this is perfectly true! If it's a long term, significant hearing loss I would think he would have been referred to a teacher from the hearing impairment team and they usually visit settings/homes to give advice.

You could start completing an ECAT profile for him, this could be a way to share with mum his strengths and areas for development.

Do other areas of his development seem OK?

I have requested 'formal paperwork' however it doesn't seem to be appearing...

I will remind the parents again and see what happens.

The child in question requires additional support in some areas. I'm concerned there is something being kept from me :(

I really feel for you, it's a difficult situation. Just to cover yourself, make sure you keep a written record of when you've asked mum for the information. If it's still not forthcoming, I'd be inclined to ask your Manager to write a letter to the parents stating that you need the information as this is part of your OFSTED requirements and to ensure you meet their child's needs fully. If they still don't bring in any information, I think you should contact your Local Authority for advice.

Do you ask all parents to bring in their child's Red Health Book when their child starts as this can be a useful way to find out what's been going on in terms of referrals and developmental assessments. Parents can choose not to bring in the book but if it's part of your general induction for all parents, it shouldn't be an issue.

Mum might be worried that he will no longer be welcome at your setting if you find out he has an additional need. Unfortunately, this is a genuine fear for lots of parents.

Good luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)