Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any suggestions

Hi

I have a 4yr old boy who attends the setting he punches/rubs(aggressively) his head at times during the session, such times are registration, storytime, well anytime we sit really.

He has a poor diet - only eats white processed carb, chocolate and sweets. No fruit, protien,milk etc.

He is very 'angry' and frowns when asked to do something ie tidy up. He loves play fighting and is constantly irritating the other children by wrestling them when they are playing.

He is bright, can can argue the hind legs off a donkey!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Development - he is doing fine, infact above his age in many areas. Lacks in PSED a little but nothing huge. Never does craft of any form.

Mum is very stressed, think there is a possibility she's suffering post natal depression. Always complaining, nothing's right, but nothing big to actually complain about.

I as thinking there is something not right but I can't put my finger on it.

sorry didn't want to read and run, sounds like you have your hands full there.....we had a similar child, his emotional out bursts and rages were unprovoked and very unpredictable, we had our local inclusion team assess him and worked closely with the family, mum was at her wits end, we referred them for out reach from the local family center, He went to infants school and after a few hic ups, we have heard that the support is working well, he has a play worker come to his home and is now doing well.It seemed to be very hard to get help for a child who developmentally is doing well but emotionally is struggling......lets hope it all goes well for you.

I wonder has his behaviour changed in the time he's been with you or has he always rubbed/punched his head, been angry and been physical with his peers? In view of his limited diet, perhaps he has an iron deficiency which could make him tired and have headaches (which may cause him to rub his head). It might be worth asking mum if you could contact the Health Visitor to rule this out This would also be a "way in" for the Health Visitor to offer mum some support.

Are there siblings or does mum have a partner? I wonder if he's play fighting at home and doesn't realise that it isn't appropriate to do this unless his peers agree or perhaps it's his way of trying to join in their play. Have you tried modelling the words he needs to use? Eg.You need to say "Can I play with you?" and also have a whole group session when you model to the children what they need to do if another child is doing something they don't like. Eg. You need to say "Stop, I don't like it" (then tell an adult). Children often seem to react more readily when another child tells them to stop.

If he's quite bright, could you try having a chat with him about what makes him angry and how he thinks the other children feel when he wrestles them?

Alistair Bryce Clegg has some great ideas for Boy's learning on his website http://abcdoes.typepad.com/

Let us know how you get on, he's lucky to have you!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)