Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Levels

Hi

Can anyone advise please, what age and and stage are your higher achieving children at the moment?

Mine are in the 40-60 month band dipping into ELGs

Are yours at this stage?

Thanks

If that is where they are then that is fine, I wouldn't worry about whether it is similar to other schools or not as each child and cohort are different. My more able are working on the year one objectives but I also have other children on the elg's, some working at 40-60entering and others below this. As long as you are challenging them at the same time as working within their level.

If that is where they are then that is fine, I wouldn't worry about whether it is similar to other schools or not as each child and cohort are different. My more able are working on the year one objectives but I also have other children on the elg's, some working at 40-60entering and others below this. As long as you are challenging them at the same time as working within their level.

i'm nursery teacher, and i have been told by my reception teacher that we shouldn't have sent any children up to reception on 40-60 secure as they are not allowed to look at elg until summer so have nothing to work on for 2 terms unless they start year 1 objectives. but you are obviously working on elg's. do you have any idea why she is saying this? it was only the odd child and mainly in pse or c+l, but am fed up if we have to dumb down our children's achievement

I am a reception teacher not in nursery so no the same scenario. However what I will say is this...in all my years of teaching I have never experienced I child entering school that is truly a 40-60s child, some developing, yes but never secure...there is just too much for them to cover in order to be secure. My personal view is also that if a child has achieved their elg in psed on entry to school then it should be secure enough for them to move to a new environment and make the transition seamlessly, making friends, showing confidence with adults and peers in all situations....this I have never seen. Some children are close but often cautious and unsure in a new environment, therefore not a child that should be given an elg yet.

It's a tricky one...I understand your viewpoint but I also get the teacher's too.

• Like 1

secure in the band not the elg. definately not! e.g.pse mfb statements are

• Understands that own actions affect other people, for example, becomes upset or tries to comfort another child when they realise they have upset them.
  • Aware of the boundaries set, and of behavioural expectations in the setting.
  • Beginning to be able to negotiate and solve problems without aggression, e.g. when someone has taken their toy.

so a child we had for 5 terms had achieved these and all positive relationships and enabling environments bits

• 2 months later...

Have you looked at the EYFS profile exemplification materials?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eyfs-profile-exemplication-materials

Although they are obviously for the ELGs and not the ages and stages, they do show what children will be able to do in theory after they have moved on from 40-60+months to working in the ELGs. In other words, you would expect a child who is secure at 40-60+months to be demonstrating similar things.

I have found the exemplification materials very useful for looking at with my local pre-schools and developing their understanding of what we are all working towards at the end of the EYFS as a whole.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)