Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

In Two Years?

I am doing a foundation degree with the OU this is 4years part time doing 60points a year about 16hours a week.

How many hours do you do if you do it in two years. 120 points a year?

Must be about 32h a week. Is it possable to do this while in college one day??

Most full time students at uni do 120points a year- seems confusing anyone want to enlighten me?

Akire,

There's lots of talk on OU First Class at the moment about the EYFD (and also about the lack of a Bachelor's in EY). Some of the students who have just completed E115 (and so have accrued at least 120 points) are now switching from distance learning to coventional unis.

Some of the OU students who have just completed E115 became disillusioned with OU. This was the first presentation of E115, and, naturally, it had a few "teething troubles". It is so unlike E123 and E124. Next year's presentation ought to be much more user-friendly (the course team really have welcomed everyone's comments).

I haven't gone down the "60 points a year" route. I started E123 in May 2003, E124 in Feb 2004 and E115 in Feb 2005 (so 120 - hopefully - points to date). I intend to start 2x30-pointers in Feb 2006, and the final 60-pointer (E215) in May 2007. A long haul! But OU (except for some tricky bits of E115) has given me the flexibility that university attendance cound not have offered. When I do E215, it will be the second presentation (and the course team will have had feedback from the first run - plus all THEIR learning from E115!)

I suppose the "in college for one day a week" does not cover everything! How much "out-of-college" (i.e. at home) study is involved? I bet that overall, it must equate with OU study. Having said that ..... E115 was a real "time thief" - I spent more time on this that I had anticipated at the outset. Some weeks, E115 study overtook everything. And sheer paperwork overload was a nightmare. But the course team have acknowledged our criticisms (and hopefully the next presentation will be more "user-friendly").

I think it might be a case of "swings and roundabouts". I can't imagine that just one day's study per week for a year (less than 9-month year) will get you 120 points! However, my eldest daughter has just started at Birmingham uni doing a BA in sociology and she has (at most) 2 lectures a day and one tutorial. So maybe, it is possible! "Not Fair" is the phrase that springs to mind! When I did a BSc (early 1970's) I only had a couple of hours each week that weren't timetabled.

If I was younger .......

......... I'd be an early years worker (LOL)

Diane

Hi Diana

I also have done E123 and E124 and just finished U212 childhood I decided against doing E115 because it was out for the first time and it seemed alot like the end of E124 Im all for reflecting on presonal practise but feel like you have to be able to learn new things to be able to reflect in the first place.

Would you recommend the course? Honestly?

Thanks...

Hi

I have just finished E115 and found it very difficult, I did it along side E230 which I was not able to give my full attention to. I work five days a week , had a few personal; problems and work related problems so I think this had a lot to do with it. Alot of papaer shuffling and reflection and evvidence gathering but I need the course to complete the degree. I am going to do E215 providing I pass E115 in 2007 - maybe see you there Diana as I feel I need time out plus I may need to retake E230.

I personally didn't enjoy the course but alot of other students did but I di get lots of support from the other students.

I guess alot depend on your personal circumstances and maybe the second time round it wont be so bad.

Sue

• 4 weeks later...

Another OU Bod here!!

I did E115 and found it very frustrating, the timings for those working in school were poor, and I felt that you needed to work for more than 5 hours a week in a setting to do it.

I loved E123/4 and am doing two more courses next year (Inclusive learning and another!! can't remember the names or numbers!)

In 2007 I will do the E215 and hope any teething problems are gone by then...assuming I pass E115!!

In answer to your original question, I wouldn't do more than 60 points in a year, but that's just me!!

Good Luck

Chris

I am doing this at college over 2 years , one day (well 2-8pm) at college a week the rest in my setting, only started in sept (with Mazlittle) so far so good coping with it. Yes it is 120 points per year, will let you know more as time goes on................... :D

I am doing this at college over 2 years , one day (well 2-8pm) at college a week the rest in my setting, only started in sept (with Mazlittle) so far so good coping with it. Yes it is 120 points per year, will let you know more as time goes on................... :D

42537[/snapback]

I am not too far from you, which college are you doing this at, I might be able to use my non contact time to attend.

Sorry to but in i have done a standerd BA in Education at Leeds Uni and completed last year. I have not got a clue about the OU system and found the website wasnt much help. I was looking in to doing an MA in Education with the OU but wanted to do the 60 units over 2 years, the web site read 1 year for 60 units. I feel this will be too much work while teaching full time, does any one know if it is possible to do it over 2 years instead thus making a masters course 6 years instead of 3?

BCA berkshire college of agriculture................... :D

42548[/snapback]

Hali I had a look at their web site but not a lot of information ie which afternoon do you attend, do you know what day it will be next year?

Who pays for your training do you get funding, if so from whom.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)