Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inspection Reports - Sharing Them With Parents

Hi again

Well as I have said we recently had our ofsted inspection. I think it went well considering all thats happened here lately and our early stages of thing, we acheived an all round satisfactory in every area.

Our paper report came in and where as its mostly positive, there are a few sentances relating to our staff (who were extrememly nervous on the day).

I'm thinking of reproducing a copy for each parent and including it with our monthly newsletter. Do you all think this is a good idea?

I also considered giving them a sheet where they can ask any questions and sign of to say they have all seen the report. Any questions would either be answered in person or in writing. Do you think this is a good idea.

I do not want to make excuses for any negatives on the report but wish to reassure parents of our intentions to improve etc etc.

So what do you think? and what do you guys do?

Many thanks

Nic x

We put a copy out on the information table in our entrance way. I then send out a letter to parents telling them it is there, signposting them to the OFSTED website where they can read the report, and giving a resume of what is in the report-good and bad. I also let parents see the action plan when it is finished.

How many children do you have Nic? It could be quite expensive to give them all a copy. We have upwards of 50+ children so find the costs prohibitive to send each family a copy. How about getting email addresses of parents and sending them a copy that way? We have just started asking for email addresses so that we can send out newsletters and information and so cut down on costs and environmental waste.

Linda

Most parents are not bothered about the outcomes of Ofsted. They choose a setting on recommendation, atmosphere and convenience. I had an inspection quite recently. Parents were informed of the outcomes in the termly newsletter with a welcome to view the report. Before I offered this I did my agenda for action and attatched it to the report. Unfortunately not one parent asked to see it. It is kept in a folder for new parents to view with other paperwork.

We put a copy out on the information table in our entrance way. I then send out a letter to parents telling them it is there, signposting them to the OFSTED website where they can read the report, and giving a resume of what is in the report-good and bad. I also let parents see the action plan when it is finished.

How many children do you have Nic? It could be quite expensive to give them all a copy. We have upwards of 50+ children so find the costs prohibitive to send each family a copy. How about getting email addresses of parents and sending them a copy that way? We have just started asking for email addresses so that we can send out newsletters and information and so cut down on costs and environmental waste.

Linda

40709[/snapback]

At the moment I only have about seventeen children, so the cost wouldn't be too high. Email address' would be a great idea though linda and weirdly enough I have never thought of it!!

Thanks for the reply

Nic x

we too do as Linda, a report is always available for parents to read on arrival and also have one on the noticeboard, this allows all parents to see the report whenever the child starts with us,not just those wih us at the time of the report.

....we have the action plan with it.

Whether parents read it or not is up to them but I believed we had to inform parents of the outcome of an inspection and any action plan resulting from this...

i have had a lot of enquiries from parents recently who actually came to us because they had looked up the reports on the internet at the local library and then visited the setting....

Have tried Emails...the idea is good but they only work if you are lucky enough to have parents on line, and parents actually check regularly ....most of mine are not.... so while i do give the option find I have only 3 out of 25 who can recieve them and one of those is a work email address..

Inge

Personally, I would go with the copy in the entranceway. It's what I've done at all settings I've worked in. Although you may not have too many at present, you're going to regret it if you set a precedent and then your numbers really take off!!!

Sue :D

I also think it is a requirement of registration to show parents a copy of the report, one is sufficient on the notice board etc and give the Ofsted web address in newsletters with summary and action plan.

Nic, I think it is always a good idea to try to get feedback from parents, instead of asking have they any questions ( they will more than likely focus on the negative- no one asks questions like How do you do that so well? :o why not just ask what they think about the report and the action plan.

Peggy

Yes, it is now a requirement to make the report available to parents - the new addendum to the National Standards has a new paragraph (12.9) which states

"The registered person ensures that copies of the inspection report are provided to all parents."

It must be free to parents, but a charge (set by the provider) can be set for passing it on to other agencies to cover printing/copying costs.

As usual, it is not clear if 'provided' means physically given to them or 'available' i.e. on the noticeboard, in the entrance hall way etc...

:D

Like everyone else I keep a copy on my Notice Board, photocopied onto Lime Green paper so that it stands out. I let parents know its there - I agree it is impractical to let everyone have a copy - and I am sure that cannot be the intention of the wording. It will be a logistic nightmare say in a 150 place FDC with over 200 parents on role and besides have you ever received one from a school. You could give a review of the psotives and negatives and outline the action plan and what you are going to do. This I am sure will be fine. Parents may want to ask questions but as long as you have covered everything then I am sure they will be happy - concentrate on the strengths too and sing your praises as to why you are good.

Nikki

I agree I leave a copy on the entrance table. in 9 years i think i have only had a handful of parents ask to see it. I think word of mouth and recommendations seems to be the way most of our parents come to us.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a been to a cluster meeting where we were told that we should give every parent with a child on register a copy full of the report within 5 days, free of charge......as said cost so very high.

however ........by the end of the session the PLA representative had contacted OFsted to clarify this and was told that so long as we tell parents whith children on register where to find a copy in a newsletter or similar and let them know they can have a copy on request, this is ok along with the copy at the entrance or on the noticeboard for all to read. You must also ensure that this is documented where and how you informed parents of the report.

Our LEA are going to confirm this by letter so we can have it on file for any inpections.

If we need to produce it for parents without children on register we can charge for photocoying costs!

Inge

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on the giving of reports to parents, since the meeting in Nov our EYdep have sent us yet another letter which states

'that is is our duty as a provider to give all registered parents a copy of the Ofsted Inspection report within 5 days of recieving it. Also noting that this is only once every 3 years on average and using the new framework it is only 3-4 pages long. Settings can charge non registered parents for the cost of reproducing the report if they require a copy. '

there was also a note on employing a suitable person and that we must have CRB check, Application forms, interview notes, probationary period and reviews, references, copies of qualifications, training, 1to1s, appraisals etc. for each employee. Im sure we all have the above but perhaps a check may be in order........

(only one problem our chair took them home didnt know at time and I have not been able to contact her for over 8 months....called an emergency meeting myself and got a new chair elected but now am unable to get anything back...any ideas... tried calling, phone, mobile, knocking on doors even sent someone she does not know as she will not answer door to me short of sitting on her doorstep!!! All staff were approved by Ofsted before this and have copies of lots but not all above, all worked here for over 3 years now.)

Inge

Hi Inge, Thanks for the update.

I wonder if we would be able to email each parent the Ofsted link to our report???? Like to save trees even though it's only every 3 years, still a lot of paper.

Sorry to hear about your "invisible" ex chairperson.

Could the new chairperson send her a letter "recorded delivery" stating her obligations under the Data protection Act?

Depending on what information she has, I do think, just to cover your own backs that this "Incident" should be recorded and your new committee get advice, especially if some of the records she has are required to be kept available ie: PAYE etc. I think also a letter to Ofsted ( Standard 14 -Documentation-Incident report) explaining the situation and what has been tried to rectify the situation, as this will also cover you if they ask for records which are now not available.

Even though you have copies, I don't think it is right that he/she has records of staff details in her personal posession. I would also be careful of sending people to her house un recorded, she may say she handed paperwork to them when she didn't and this would be difficult to prove otherwise.

Hope it gets sorted out soon and I am sure your new committee are currently writing the new Data protection policy and practice on what information is stored where, when and by whom etc :oxD

Peggy