Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inset To Whole Staff About Foundation Stage

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas doing an inset to the whole staff regarding the foundation stage- prob about 1 1/2 hrs.

I thought of showing them the different stages of the ELG's. Also show the ELG's maybe compare to NC 1.

Also show how examples of the different areas. ( & continuous provision) Maybe let them have a play with some equipment-

Maybe how we assess the children -

ANy more ideas- should I focus on one thing?

Thank you

Oh Sue, thats not rubbish and you know it. Play is the most important part. So far this morning I've played again with my MP3 (nearly sussed it), also played with posting links on here (gold star) and played with the kitten (learnt her teeth are getting sharp) I've played with words ready for when I get to speak to the gas people now that they have blocked my car on the drive to do pipework (may need refining) and later on I will be playing with the food in the cupboard to see if I can create change.

My appologies to you Gaynor for otally messing up a very valid question. I have too much time on my hands to be of proper help. :o

Hello,

I have been having little thoughts from time to time on how I would approach doing an Inset on the Foundation Stage. Here are some of my vague thoughts:-

1. Playing tape recorder of what a Foundation Stage classroom sounds like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Asking the question "What does play look like..."

3. Letting them play with some chocolate play dough

well, I did say they were vague....

oh, and try explainging how the Profile links in with the ELGs and how many points there are on the Profile and how many children in your class and how many hours there are in the day etc etc.......

I always favour the 'hands on' approach, so would suggest playing with 'stuff', maybe some construction, some sand/water, play-doh, colouring/drawing... Let them play for a bit then ask them what learning opportunities there were within their play? The poem recently posted about what children do at nursery would be appropriate too, as I think even some of our colleagues further up the school do believe that FS is a doddle. Could cross reference these to stepping stones or outcomes for Every Child Matters.

hi!

i carried out an inset to staff at my school a couple of years ago - talked through the basic curriculum differences and explained the CGFS, discussed our typical day etc.

Also carried out an activity which proved to be an eye opener for all! Set a question to staff - a child is playing with beads and strings - what could they learn from this? When we reviewed everyones ideas there were many ommisions of what they could learn - mainly focussed on the patterning possibilities and that was about it! Had to move our upper KS2 staff away from the 'just choosing' attitude which proved hard to begin with! think that many people have the outlook that we are just watching the p0lay and never extedning or reinforcing, this was a key objective of our training! When we discussed the wealth of opportunities involved in each play activity and empahasised that we are developing attitudes and skills rather than simply knowledge i felt much more appreciated!! i have a powerpoint presentation which i used as a basis if this is helpful?

hi!

i carried out an inset to staff at my school a couple of years ago - talked through the basic curriculum differences and explained the CGFS, discussed our typical day etc.

Also carried out an activity which proved to be an eye opener for all! Set a question to staff - a child is playing with beads and strings - what could they learn from this? When we reviewed everyones ideas there were many ommisions of what they could learn - mainly focussed on the patterning possibilities and that was about it! Had to  move our upper KS2 staff away from the 'just choosing' attitude which proved hard to begin with! think that many people have the outlook that we are just watching the p0lay and never extedning or reinforcing, this was a key objective of our training! When we discussed the wealth of opportunities involved in each play activity and empahasised that we are developing attitudes and skills rather than simply knowledge i felt much more appreciated!! i have a powerpoint presentation which i used as a basis if this is helpful?

40437[/snapback]

That sounds great saraholl. I don't have to do an inset, but having the powerpoint as a guide would make any future ones easier - sounds like there needs to be a whole attitude change towards FS even still !!!

Thanks!

Thanks for that Maz!!

Actually, reminds me I needed to expand a bit there (as well as everywhere here - my jeans are far (FAR) too snug :o ) I meant, that as I'm not a teacher, I wasn't sure what might be appropriate for the agenda.

However, I would still emphasise the importance of play!!! xD

Sue :D

i can't seem to locate my saved version - can post you a copy of the printouts if you like? :o

Sara

40445[/snapback]

I've got to do a similar inset for other staff and would be very grateful for a copy of your printouts if possible, saraholl. Thanks

J

Get hold of a copy of continuing the learning journey. The training is all laid out for you in the pack. Also the Foundation Stage toolkit has got some good video footage to show how the FS works.

Had to do something similar recently, but there were 2 of us, and it was for a shorter length of time. We looked at daily routines, assessment, planning and outdoor play.

Good luck with the inset!!

Depending the size of your group etc, if you decide to do a "hands on" experience, once they are all thoroughly engrossed, say "Pack away time" and bring them to a full group to do something really structured ie: production line make a flower card (all identical). Then ask them which experience they

1/ enjoyed most as indivuduals

2/ they learnt most from

Then

3/ have a discussion on how it is more difficult, yet very important , to timetable "play" as apposed to a structured session plan.

Try and have fun as this will be remembered longer.

Peggy

A tutor told me once that she did something similar Peggy. She went as far as altering their pictures so that would be absolutley identical, and it was surprising the comments she got from people telling her they wanted to do it their way, and she wasnt being nice to them. Made a point she felt. :D

Love the idea of making everyone doing the same picture - to show them how uncreative that is. I the continuing learning training stuff but it was a bit dry and does depend on what messages you want to give.

Depending the size of your group etc, if you decide to do a "hands on" experience, once they are all thoroughly engrossed, say "Pack away time" and bring them to a full group to do something really structured ie: production line make a flower card (all identical).  Then ask them which experience they

1/ enjoyed most as indivuduals

2/ they learnt most from

Then

3/  have a discussion on how it is more  difficult, yet very important , to timetable "play" as apposed to a structured session plan.

Try and have fun as this will be remembered longer.

Peggy

40509[/snapback]

FANTASTIC Peggy!!!!  Will try and remember this idea just in case it is ever needed.

thank you very much for your comments, I am going to use continung the learning journey!!! Also let them play in the different areas & give them tasks to do. Once again thankyou for all your help and advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible for you to attach a copy of the powerpoint presentation or the printouts? I am doing an INSET to the rest of my school very soon! Thank you!

Hi,

This is the first reply that I've done, so here goes.

I've done several inset sessions with the staff, mainly sharing policies and what Child Initiated Learning is all about.

Maybe you could use some examples from the profile CD that's now available in the Foundation Stage toolkit to show examples of learning in the FS and progression.

Above all the most important message that I had for all staff: teachers and teaching assistants was that there is no distinction between work and play in the FS. I' ve now put a quote above my whiteboard to remind everyone that enters the room. I quite often say that we're actively learning. :D

Hope this is helpful

Mel C :)

Hi Im not sure how to attach power point presentation, I will have a go over the next couple of days. Gaynor.

The INSET went much better than expected. !!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your presentation, Gaynor, it looks very professional :D I really need some training on power point - how DO you make those letters dance onto the screen like that? I'm going to ask to go on a course...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)