Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading for a purpose

Hi everyone, I wonder if you could help? I'm hoping to do some guided reading next week with a focus on reading for a purpose. Our topic is birthdays. I am hoping to construct some form of instructions for the children to read step by step to make something - possibly cakes for our party on the Friday but I was wondering whether you could think of anything craft based for the instructions?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Guest

As a thought:

Isn't the point of reading to read for a purpose or pleasure. If there's no purpose/pleasure why would I read? I'm not sure this is a teachable outcome in that way - it's more of a attitude children develop through the need to read to find out stuff. Would this be better developed through your continuous provision or more active learning rather than guided reading which is more to do with the nuts and bolts of decoding?

Cx

• Like 1

you could write clues and put them around and you need to read them to find say ingredients for making the birthday cake or resources to make birthday cards

Birthday party invitations that have the details of the party written on them

written passwords that are needed to gain access to the party

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)