Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

reluctant writers

Hi all

I could really do with some ideas how to get three boys interested in mark making. These three have resisted all attempts and basically wont mark make in any way despite trying to encourage through role play (superhero), pre-mark making such as finger painting, sand, gloop, shaving foam etc... chalk wall, wipe boards!!!

any ideas???

Superhero speech bubbles or tv character ones go down well. Power rangers pens etc from pound shop. Paint buckets decorated with tv characters and filled with diff sized mark making tools and templates went down well with nursery. We also recently bought some a5 clipboards and hung them from outdoor railings with magnifying glass and pen for them to investgate anything. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

What are they interested in?

My boys like using aquamats and magnetic 'magic' writing boards and paint programmes on the iwb. I've also painted a table and wall in my classroom with blackboard paint which they then chalk on. Wiki sticks on windows? Moon sand? Could you try cars with pens attached? Pva in the tuff spot? Clipboards in the construction area? A toy parrot was kidnapped by pirates and we 'wrote' back to them asking for him to be returned as we'd completed the challenge they'd set? Sorry I've gone on... We like mark making in our room.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hfitz12

We have recently got some recordable whiteboards. I modelled these first in our input time. I then went into the areas the children were in child initiated learning and they recorded what they were doing in their play. When they heard their voices they were all keen to write waht they had said. They also applied their phonics much more when writing about what interested them. I took photographs to put into their writing books and photocopied their writing from the whiteboards. I spent most of that week sitting or lying on the floor but was amazed at the difference when I took the writing to them!! They now regularly ask for their 'magic' boards and record and write about what they are doing independently. I don't know how much the boards were but they were worth every penny and the biggest difference has been seen with the boys!

Edited by hfitz12

we strap pens to bee bots if you have any of those. They also like templates of things like batman logo to make and wear, magna doodles have helped too in the past, sand sprinkled on tables, paper taped to the underside of a table, they lie on their back and mark make above. We put up a large outline of a T. Rex and put tracing paper over the top some attempted to draw it. Making their own reg plates for cars, L plates, we laid out paper on the floor which was about 6 inches wide, taped it down and the drew train tracks on it, made stations, tunnels, traffic lights etc. to go with it

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)