Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

WALT and WILF

I never did, and I want to say that doing my PGCE (just a couple of years ago) we were advised not to in EYs as it can limit the bounds of what the children do or attempt. That said I do now of schools judged by Ofsted to be 'Outstanding' who do. Do you want to use them or are you being asked/told to?

And sorry Pimms they mean We Are Learning To and What I Am Looking For (if I remember correctly), basically learning objectives/outcomes.

Edited by Guest

I am preparing to be told to do them

I think! :-(

The idea of telling the children WILF ( what I looking for) doesn't sit right with me, but I can be open minded....

I always thought that if I was told I must use them that if try to teach the children that the WILF was my thoughts on the outcome of the activity but I'd be excited to see if they could also come up with others in addition. Quite how I would word it would depend on how I was being told to use it and my class at the time. I sort of don't mind the WALT as much as I think that is more open to interpretation along the lines that we could use it to celebrate every child's unique achievements and contributions. Not strictly the meaning I know but a way of making it fit with EY ethos. Sometimes I feel I'd argue my corner but at other times there are bigger fish to fry!

You can always put a twist on things. For instance the WALT for a sorting activity could be ..we are learning to talk about our decisions. Trying to focus on the process rather than the outcome.

I agree, sometimes you have to pick you battles.

Glad I saw this tonight as I discovered today that last year teachers in YR in my school were expected to use 'must should could' to show differentiation. I'm new there this year and so far no one has mentioned it, but the school I worked in last year also used this in YR (I was in nursery there though). Is anyone else using this too?

I think we should change it to We All Now Know.......W**K...that's what I think of WALT and WiLF anyway! Haha!

thank you for making me laugh this morning...its been a while!

I quite liked using WALT (we didn't use WILF) but I now have to use LO (Learning Objective) as it's a mixed R / 1 class and that is what is used in the rest of the school. I argued that the children understood WALT and to me it sounded slightly more 'child friendly' than LO but needless to say I lost the battle!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)