Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rama and Sita writing

Hi all, I've come to get some inspiration :)

We are currently looking at the story of Rama and Sita and next week I'm being observed during a writing lesson...

The kids are loving the story, the boys especially loving the monkey army/battle part!

Was thinking of having my Ta playing outside with the large construction to build a bridge like the monkeys do - the idea that they plan their ideas first, labelling making lists of what they need etc.

I'm struggling to think of an exciting adult led writing activity I can do??

Was thinking along the lines of writing lists as we have already done labels and I'm looking for new learning to take place. We haven't looked at lists at all but is this a bit boring?

I don't want to over complicate things.

I started to think about how they were banished to the woods, could think about what they would have taken with them, maybe ask the children to write a list of what they would take if they had to live in the woods...?

I want it to be accessible enough for my most able to do it independently.

Any ideas gratefully received!

E x

Well that's an angle the children may have experience of so they will be able to respond to the task with some prior knowledge which always helps in writing...a question I'd be asking myself is what is the specific learning about a list I will teach as the Rama/Sita bit is irrelevant to that, being just the context. (In preparation for the observation!)

You could also develop vocabulary and inference/deduction by focusing on description. Looking closely at an image of Rama, Sita, Ravana etc and get the children to discuss what they are like in the "right there" way, as in the description is literal, such as Sita has black hair, or the "think about" way (beyond the literal) so she looks sad because....children could then write their descriptions of the characters and structure their writing around their pen portrait?

Outside I once had my children building a bridge with all the outdoor building stuff and then they acted out the whole story complete with battle. They also used the various dressing up clothes and other resources so it was a massive outdoor promenade performance of the Ramayana.

Cx

Can I ask which version of the story you used for YR please? I bought an allegedly 'simple' version when I was teaching in Y1 years ago but even that was a bit lengthy and complex. I've used a version of the story on Espresso before too but the school I'm in now doesn't subscribe to that so I don't have that option either.

It's called Rama and the Demon King, I can't remember off the top of my head who it is written by but a colleague of mine adapted it on a PowerPoint in a much simpler version and the kids absolutely loved it. They did sit through the longer version originally but as we recapped it we used the PowerPoint. I'm happy to email you it if you'd like to send me your email address.

E x

That's always an option Catma :-)

Emma I have sent you a message, thank you so much.

Part of my problem is that when I came out of school to go and work for LA back in the dim and distant mists of time, I had no intention of ever going back, so I offloaded a lot of the resources I had built up, keeping only those I couldn't bear to part with. Fast forward and here I am.....I am enjoying it though, I just need to start gathering 'stuff' again :-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)