Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Celebrations Topic

Starting to get things ready for next term (no i'm not that organised!). Anyone got any ideas of books that i can use with the children on celebrations (christenings, weddings, birthdays, divali?)

You were a wonderful help last time.

there is a book that used to be used for KS1 sats, can't remember the exact title - i think it was something about giants - about a child from a baby to an adult - am sure there is a wedding in that..

will try and get the exact title tomorrow

'might be called 'once there were giants' but i'm not sure

I found a good series of books about celebrations called "Festival Time". You can get them on Amazon or in Waterstones. They are picture books telling a family's story about each occasion but have more detailed information in the back. I've bought "Lighting a Lamp - A Diwali Story" and "Lanterns and Firecrakers - A Chinese New Year Story".

Oh how boring am I?

Topsy and Tim at the Wedding, yes girls, the dynamic duo are bridesmaid and page boy to their teacher no less! (Are you reading this Gater? File for future reference)

T&T Birthday Party

Grace and Family

Alfie Lends a Hand, Alfie and the Birthday Surprise (and there's a new one about Alfie winning a prize at the village show which sounds like an excuse for a celebration if ever I heard one)

Kipper's Birthday

Mr Wolf and the Three Bears

The Jolly Postman

Barb

Starting to get things ready for next term (no i'm not that organised!). Anyone got any ideas of books that i can use with the children on celebrations (christenings, weddings, birthdays, divali?)

40239[/snapback]

Hi,

If I were you I'd probably go to my local library and get the librarians to do a search for you. I always find that this brings up lots of new books that I have never even heard of, so it keeps the children interested and excited in the topics.

hope this helps

Boogie

:D

And the knowing smile was to Barb - haven't got the hang of quoting the right person as you can guess!!!

Forgive my stupidness - it's late!

D xxx

I found this book list from a R.E resource i have. i hope they are useful.

Come to the Carnival By J Foster a collection of poems

A baby Sister for Frances R Hoban

Brother or Sister M Hughes

Her comes the bridesmaid S Hughes

Lanterns and Firecrackers A chinese new year story J Zucher and JB Cohen

Its party time a purim story as above

40239[/snapback]

Hi Purplecat,

We've just done medium term planning for celebrations. Books we're doing are Rama and Sita - Diwali (available at Asda for £2.98), Samiras first Eid, The Jolly Christmas Postman, for weddings I'm showing a powerpoint presentation of my wedding, so the children can look at artifacts etc, create their own invitations, wedding cakes....can't wait for that one. Trying to think now....The Nativity

Hope this helps

Hi Angel25,

Welcome and thanks for jumping straight in there!

Don't think I could conceivably create a powerpoint for my wedding, though it sounds a great idea, the photos are all old and fading - a bit like me, really :o

Sue :D

Hi Sue and thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm very lucky, got married in the summer, so I'll use any excuse to beable to wear my dress again - Roll on week 3!!!

Quite beside the point, I know, but I went to a fabulous wedding in Cornwall this summer - beautiful bride, beautiful weather, beautiful beach and sea, dolphins in the bay and beautiful fireworks to round it off! The groom looked pretty pleased with himself, too :o

Congratulations and I hope you have many happy years ahead of you!

Sue :D

• 2 years later...
Hi Purplecat,

We've just done medium term planning for celebrations. Books we're doing are Rama and Sita - Diwali (available at Asda for £2.98), Samiras first Eid, The Jolly Christmas Postman, for weddings I'm showing a powerpoint presentation of my wedding, so the children can look at artifacts etc, create their own invitations, wedding cakes....can't wait for that one. Trying to think now....The Nativity

Hope this helps

if you have your topic web for celebrations and any info or plans would love to see them That goes for anyone else out there. Thanks would you put them on to download.

Helen

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

I am extremely new to the Forum but wow what a wonderful place it is!!

I have just been searching for some ideas on Celebrations and the link for Norfolkesinet.org keeps cropping up, which everyone says is brill. Trouble is I cannot seem to see what everyone else does! I just get a page which has a list of sponsored links on it. Am I doing something wrong??

No nothing wrong, but sadly this thread is from 2005 so I think that possibly the Norfolk site has changed since then.

Welcome to the site and well done for your first post. Now why not start a new thread in the Celebrations area asking for ideas on the sort of things you are looking for. I think it is the right time of year for others to be interested in this as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)