Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

P scales to assess year1 in term 1

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

I have just seen my grandsons report card . He has just joined year1 and he has been assessed as p8 in reading and p7 in writing . He is forecasted to achieve a 1A at the end of year1 in both subjects.He is a normal happy little boy , who achieved an expected in reading and writing at the end of his reception year....

what would you do? I am cross at the school for using PIVOTS in this way, also 1A they are saying he is going to make 3 sub levels progress .mmmmmmmm

I agree with Catma and I suspect the school are just using P scales as a level descriptor. At this stage in year 1 of course, EYFS descriptors are more appropriate but would probably correspond to the P scale descriptor?

As they are also assessing him as competent enough to attain 1A, I dont think I would worry too much unless you think there are major errors?

I have just seen my grandsons report card . He has just joined year1 and he has been assessed as p8 in reading and p7 in writing . He is forecasted to achieve a 1A at the end of year1 in both subjects.He is a normal happy little boy , who achieved an expected in reading and writing at the end of his reception year....

what would you do? I am cross at the school for using PIVOTS in this way, also 1A they are saying he is going to make 3 sub levels progress .mmmmmmmm

It doesn't sound like p levels are being used correctly .....though I hasten to add saying he is a 'normal, happy little boy' implies that children using p levels are not normal or happy but I am sure you didn't mean that :unsure: You also mention PIVATS which is a different assessment tool to P Levels. However both tools are used for children outside national expectations and if your grandson achieved expected I would be questioning why he was assessed using P Levels unless they are perhaps trying to show progress and value added. I work in a special school so with my special school hat on ...I wouldn't be at all concerned about a child working at P7 or P8 at Year 1 with an expectation of achieving 3 sub levels.....in comparison we would anticipate .5 so in that regards you have nothing to worry about.

As others have said, the school is using P levels inappropriately, they are for children with additional/SEN needs. At this point in the year I wouldn't say P levels were really appropriate for any child, as if they didn't meet expected levels at the end of YR then it would be better to assess them against EYFS criteria. If he was at the expected level in Literacy at the end of YR he is probably already working somewhere in L1 in NC, or very close, as the expectations for end of YR are higher in some areas than they are for Y1, writing and number being the main ones. Generally though, it sounds like he's where he needs to be so no real cause for concern.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)