Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dissertation Question - Help needed

kristina

Hi

So two weeks into college and really need to decide on dissertation question!! I have 3 areas that I am thinking of would just like your valuable :P opinions!!

So 1: Does Social background have an impact in children's learning? I like this idea however when it comes to interviews/questionnaires I feel I may not get a great response especially from parents.

2: The impact of Parents own educational experience on their child's learning. I like this idea also but not sure I will be able to uncover much research, but feel that parents will be happy to talk about their own school experiences.

3: Ok don't know how to form question or statement but I am interested in personalities of children, how they form and the impact on the setting. For example children who lead play, children who follow others and how the characteristics form. Think this may be a bit heavy and not sure how much research there is on cognitive intelligence, personalities etc

So all you lovely people I have to write a 10,000 word dissertation what do you think of the above?

Kris

Ok having spoken to my tutor yester day I have narrowed it down to 2 options:

1. The impact of parents own educational experience on their child's learning.

I will be looking at the positive and negative impact this has, for example a friend who is dyslexic and in her early sixties was given the cane at school for not learning her spellings, she has five children and she said the impact on them was substantial. She actually suffered from panic attacks when she had to go into school for parents evenings etc. There is also quite a lot of secondary research on this subject with regards parents as role models and their own feeling about education.

2. 'Those who can, teach, those who can't inspect'.

I would be looking at the impact of inspections on schools, settings, the positive and the negative implications. If inspectors are competent and if the inspection system is fair, transparent and valid. My tutor did suggest with this one I could get Ofsted's views!! As I am overdue and inspection I felt I could be waving a big red flag saying cooey I'm over here come and do your worst!!!!

So if you had to read a 10,000 word dissertation which one would be of interest to you.

Kris

For me it would the first one as we often comment about how the children in nursery are the products of the parents we see. I work with several parents, helping them with their parenting skills and in all cases, they had 'bad' experiences at school in their childhood and 'switched off' education very early.

My gut instinct is the first one as there is plenty of research on this particular area and primary research could be carried out through questionnaires and interviews.

Having spoken to a couple of teachers with regards the second question the feeling was that I would end up with a very one sided argument, also there is less secondary evidence.

Think this makes up my mind for me!

Thanks for the help

Kris

Ooohhh I am so glad I found this area of the forum normally slouch around in the management area!! Like the first one alot -although the ofsted one would be very current and topical!

I'm doing "the quality of qualifications within the workforce and the impact on outcomes for children" or something like that lol -good luck :-D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)