Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using Lentils And Pulses

We used lentils today in our Tuff Spot for the children to fill various bottles and containers using different kinds of spoons and implements. They had a great time and really enjoyed the activity.

However, another member of staff arrived at lunchtime and said that she had read somewhere that we shouldn't allow children to use raw lentils as they are toxic.

I have checked on the packet and can see no information. I know raw kidney beans are toxic, but have used lentils many times before for craft activities, or for use in home-made musical shakers and have never given it any thought. We do have one or two three-year olds in Nursery who are often quite keen to put things in their mouths (we once had one child who constantly ate the playdough!)

Do you know what is safe to use and what isn't?

Thanks,

Jackie :oxD

I also only know about raw kidney beans. The only problem is if they were to eat large quantities of uncooked lentils it might weigh them down. :o

most beans do contain toxins (even teh humble green bean) which mens thet should not be eaten raw. However Im not sure if this applies to lentils, as they are a different part of the legume family, and usually are processed before we buty them.

I use lentils from time to time but only when they are out of date...

Hi

We also used lentils etc, but heard that we shouldn't be using them uncooked! In very small print on the packets it does indicate not to eat uncooked, so we now use edible seeds (but you don't get that many and they are quite expensive)

Surely its the same as every thing else we are involved with! Use your own common sense, you are hardly going to sit and watch as some one shovels handfuls in!! I have a child who eats carpet, foam, towels, stones, dirt etc etc, have to to he is disgustingly healthy. p.s. We are in a special school!

Nice one Midge :D:D:(

I would worry more about how many lentils can fit up a nostril :o , but I think we've had that conversation before. xD

Write a broad risk assessment on all things small enough to enter the mouth (without causing choking) ie: risk= minimal (unless Johnny, Sara, and Tom attending ):( Action:= Supervision. additional resources:= stomach pump and sick bucket.

Sorry, no offence. Credit for asking the question if only to re-assure yourselves that what you think is the same as others.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)