Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Teachers and Playtime duty

I don't think there's a simple answer.

Technically if the HT requires you to take part in the duty rota then I think you would have to. If you are a small school you may need to take a turn to balance the rota. It does mean you get to meet and talk to other,older children and they see you as a part of the whole staff team and not just EYFS. After all you are a member of the whole school staff team.

Cx

Edited by catma

Like Catma says, it's up to HT really if they want you to be on the rota. However, whilst you are on duty (and possibly grabbing a comfort break for loo/quick drink before or afterwards), if your class isn't having a play time, who is with them?

I do like the fact that I get to know the KS1 children, however, we are a Reception unit with 45 children, 2 classrooms + adjoining outdoor area, 2 teachers and 1 TA. When a teacher goes out on playground duty, 1 teacher and TA are left with 45 children and we have to close an area for safe supervision purposes. Not ideal.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)