Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Daily maths?

Does everyone do a daily maths session? As in, a whole class input 10-15 mins?

I do a daily phonics and I always have another focus input that may be literacy, uw, ead etc and this year I'm also doing a daily maths as I thought it was what everyone else did. Last year I didn't do this, I had one main maths input but reinforced it through play activities all week and wherever we had a few minutes to spare we'd play counting games or something similar.

I just wondered what everyone else did x

Nope. My days work roughly like this once I start doing more than just observations and getting to know them.

Mornings
Daily - phonics

Monday-Thursday: maths or English input + adult led focus

Friday: handwriting - in whatever form it needs to take - development of gross motor/fine motor skills or actual letter formation

Afternoons

Either a UW/EAD/PD input/focus for the afternoon. This will be different this year as I have a YR/1 mix and although I've done it before I can't remember how!

I do have daily maths in the form of things like counting those having dinners and working out how many sandwiches there must be, counting the class when lined up, problem solving around snack time and just general stuff as it occurs to me!

Thank you :) i think it is too much trying to do it daily. When you say mon-thurs either English or maths do you alternate english one day then maths the next or do you just continue with the same adult led until all children have completed it? Then do the other one until its done? Sorry if I am sounding a bit thick! :)

No, once our timetable is up and running (towards the end of this half term) we don't do maths input daily. During the week we will have 2 maths dancing inputs as whole class (about 10-15mins). They will then go into their maths groups to have input in smaller groups again for about 15 mins. Then during the session they will do an adult directed activity in a very small group. Hope that makes sense. It's easier to understand on the timetable!

Thank you :) i think it is too much trying to do it daily. When you say mon-thurs either English or maths do you alternate english one day then maths the next or do you just continue with the same adult led until all children have completed it? Then do the other one until its done? Sorry if I am sounding a bit thick! :)

Basically I do a maths morning twice a week and an English morning twice a week - sometimes I alternate, sometimes not. It usually depends on which adults I have in the room when and what activity I am planning to do. Everyone gets the adult-led task done that morning (at least they did last year - don't know whether it will work this one!) Last year, I generally let the children come to the task when they were ready. A few did need some gentle encouragement! Does that make more sense?

We do whizzy maths every day as a 10-15 min whole class input, usually number rhymes, IWB games or using Basil my puppet who always gets counting wrong! As the year progresses this becomes more differntiated and my LSA takes some and I take some depending on maths need. We found we have to do this daily maths input due to low age and stage on entry to school.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)