Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Asking questions

I am looking for ideas to encourage a child with language difficulties to 'begin to ask simple questions'.

What do you do to develop this?

Many thanks!

I have a child with this as a speech and language target ( set by someone else!) and we seem to have a long way to go, so will watch this with interest! My feeling with him is that we need to build his 'other' language more before we get to this point as it seems a big jump for him.

Sorry - this doesn't help you!

Hi!

(From my Elklan training) I would suggest that you start with lots of adult modelling of questioning and stick to one 'type' of questioning e.g. 'where is ...', or 'Is this ...' at a time. Allow the child time to answer, then the adult can model or possibly do with other more able children so he can hear how it all works!

Green Hippo x

Mmm ... thanks Madmum - this is for an IEP; the child is 46m and this is DM Speaking 16-26m. His understanding is at 30-50m so I feel he should be beginning to ask simple questions (his greatest difficulty is clarity of speech - so lacking in confidence a little) - I just need some ideas.

Thanks green hippo - that sounds like very good advice!

x

What is he interested in? Can you use that as a starting point. Ask him to tell you about the subject and ask him simple questions to encourage him to tell you more then maybe tell him you are going to share something that is interesting to you and ask him to quiz you about it.

You could turn it into a game where you have to try and recall 3 interesting facts about the other persons favourite subject.

I am sure others will come up with some ideas but it seems to me boys quite like a challenge, a game and competition and a way of learning that seems anything but educational :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)