Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing

We are beginning to look at writing development throughout the school. I have been asked to write what standard of writing i think children should have achieved by the end of Reception moving into year 1 and what they should have achieved by the end of year 1. It is a tricky one because i adopt a more informal approach to learning and some teachers in my school believe in a formal approach and think Reception and year 1 children should be doing lots of worksheets etc. Can you offer me any advice on how to convince them?

We've had Primary strategy people in and advisers and they are totally against too many worksheets - they were in a Y1 class. The profile provides exemplification of the things children should be achieving at the end of the Foundation Stage. But what do we do with those who have not achieved them all at end of Reception? Surely they should continue in Y1? But that's another debate.

Children should be able to write a number of key words from memory; form at least a simple sentence and the more able will be writing more than one with some punctuation.... I'll get back to the debate later! After supper!

heyjude

I also teach in an informal way....worksheets are very closed. I make my writing experiences as practical as possible....writing invitations to our class wedding...writing their weekly news...writing postcards. I use a grid at the end of each term to highlight what each child can do(writing skills ladder which is before NC) and of course it depends on the cohort to what they can do.

The elgs would be the expectation for the end of FS, also look at the FSP statements. It's not your approach that matters, although the first 27 pages of the FSCG give you all you need to know about that, but what your expectations are and how you plan for children to make progres towards the targets.

Cx

Edited by catma

• 3 weeks later...
Hi sorry that i haven't had chance to scan the writing skills ladder but i will do very soon!

40012[/snapback]

Hi Purplecat,

Any chance I could have a copy of the writing skills ladder please as we are revamping our target sheets at the mo.

Cheers

Mel C :)

Sorry will do tomorrow.....been bogged down with work. Hopefully will be able to attach skills ladder (which includes p scales).

42045[/snapback]

Thanks that'll be great. Know what you mean about work. Just had week off and now feel as shattered as before the hols.

Mel C :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)