Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics

Hi just looking at my phonics provision at present and need lots of exciting phonic resources for a class of easily bored children. Their abilities range from few sounds to most and beginning to blend. Wondered if anyone has got any wonderful resources for me to use for the children. I know i have the progression in phonics stuff...but takes ages to download (if i can find the disc) and not very colourful and exciting. Need big letter cards with good logos on. Fans, pictures, ideas please!

Got an inspector in on friday....and need the help. :)

Hi Purplecat,

We have sound boxes (old shoe boxes covered in plain bright paper, decorated with cut out letters in different fonts.

Inside box variety of items beginning with same sound, eg b

bell, ball, bear, bus, bead, book wooden/plastic/sponge letters etc. They were very quick to put together and many started off as undecorated boxes, it's a sort of work in progress. (Clarks shoe shop very generous with empty boxes. the children like looking at and handling items and it's a good phonic activity at tidy up time, sorting items back into right box.

As children's pencil skills develop,we put letter cards and tracing pouches and rainbow letters into boxes so children can trace or attempt symbol.

Good luck on Friday.

Barb

Someone kindly put a link to a great web site for phonic stuff - try www.kizclub.com

As Barb says, having objects that start with different sounds is good - I often get the children to sort them. (Quick and easy to prepare)

Alphabet lotto and picture/word lotto are good too

Don't you have "Playing with sounds"? It's the replacement for Progression in Phonics which came into schools last year. It's got some good ideas plus a CD Rom with activities.

Jolly Phonics have loads of resources - I've just got the puppets. I use the Jolly Jingles (songs) and big books.

heyjude

Yeah do have playing with sounds...but wondered if anyone had ready made resources that they could share. I use letters ins and/water...go on letter hunts and ask children to bring in objects with letters. I play the games but my children are easily bored and wanted bright resources.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)